Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

ENGLISH PAGE - Past Perfect
USE 2 Duration Before Something in the Past (Non-Continuous Verbs)

With Non-Continuous Verbs and some non-continuous uses of Mixed Verbs, we use the Past Perfect to show that something started in the past and continued up until another action in the past.

-We had had that car for ten years before it broke down. (It is OK, I understood it)

However I couldn't understand this part:

Although the above use of Past Perfect is normally limited to Non-Continuous Verbs and non-continuous uses of Mixed Verbs, the words "live," "work," "teach," and "study" are sometimes used in this way even though they are NOT Non-Continuous Verbs.

For example:

1- When you came in the room, I had studied English for six hours. (Is it ambiguous? Does it mean that the studying that had started in the past continued up to another action - when you came in the room- or before you came in the room I had studied English for six hours. I completed it. Maybe I begun to read something else?)

For example:

2- When you came in the room, I had already studied English for six hours. For this reason you saw me watching TV.

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
-We had had that car for ten years before it broke down. (It is OK, I understood it)

It's also OK as "We had that car for ten years before it broke down".

However I couldn't understand this part:

Although the above use of Past Perfect is normally limited to Non-Continuous Verbs and non-continuous uses of Mixed Verbs, the words "live," "work," "teach," and "study" are sometimes used in this way even though they are NOT Non-Continuous Verbs.

For example:

1- When you came in the room, I had studied English for six hours. (Is it ambiguous? Does it mean that the studying that had started in the past continued up to another action - when you came in the room- or before you came in the room I had studied English for six hours. I completed it.
No, this is wrong. "When you came into the room, I had been studying English for six hours." This means you had been studying up until the person came into the room. Without the continuous, the 6 hours could have any time in the past.
Maybe I begun to read something else?) Yes.

For example:

2- When you came in the room, I had already studied English for six hours. For this reason you saw me watching TV.
That could not possibly be a reason for the person seeing you watching TV. I doubt whether it is even possible for you to give it as a reason for you to be watching TV.
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.