Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Suppose you are going to meet in person with a long-time penfriend and expect the encounter to be enjoyable and exciting, can you write this:

I expect something (to be) enjoyable.

I know without the (to be) the sentence is perfectly correct and sounds natural. Does the sentence also sound natural with it?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find either "I expect something enjoyable" or "I expect something to be enjoyable" natural. If you are talking to the penfriend or to another person, you would say something like "I'm really looking forward to it. I expect it will be very enjoyable".

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't find either "I expect something enjoyable" or "I expect something to be enjoyable" natural. If you are talking to the penfriend or to another person, you would say something like "I'm really looking forward to it. I expect it will be very enjoyable".

emsr2d2,If you expect something to be enjoyable, and it turns out boring, you can say dismissively, 'That's no fun!'------ Does 'expect something to be enjoyable' sound natural to you in this particular context? By the way, that's a British national's words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2,If you expect something to be enjoyable, and it turns out boring, you can say dismissively, 'That's no fun!'------ Does 'expect something to be enjoyable' sound natural to you in this particular context? By the way, that's a British national's words.

As you used it in your opening sentence, it's fine. "Something" refers to an unspecified thing.

If something turned out not to be enjoyable, I would say "That was no fun!" or something similar. However, before the event, I would not say, for example "I'm going bowling on Saturday. I expect something to be enjoyable". I would say "I'm going bowling on Saturday. I expect it's going to be really enjoyable".

I can't put the word "something" into what you seem to be trying to say.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As you used it in your opening sentence, it's fine. "Something" refers to an unspecified thing.

If something turned out not to be enjoyable, I would say "That was no fun!" or something similar. However, before the event, I would not say, for example "I'm going bowling on Saturday. I expect something to be enjoyable". I would say "I'm going bowling on Saturday. I expect it's going to be really enjoyable".

I can't put the word "something" into what you seem to be trying to say.

In my quoted sentence, is that ok to drop 'to be' ?

If you expect something (to be) enjoyable, and it turns out boring, you can say dismissively, 'That's no fun!'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my quoted sentence, is that ok to drop 'to be' ?

If you expect something (to be) enjoyable, and it turns out boring, you can say dismissively, 'That's no fun!'

I find "If you expect something enjoyable and it turns out boring ..." rather unnatural.

If you expect something to be enjoyable and it turns out to be boring ...
If you expect something enjoyable and you get something boring ...

Status
Not open for further replies.