Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi teachers.

I have these probable answers to questions. I would like to know whether the answers are grammatically correct. And also, if you have better ways of constructing the sentences, you are more than welcome to revise :)

I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

1. The role and responsibility in your job

To begin with, I have been working in the International Department of the same company for nearly/about 7 years. I’ve been involved in several engagements although these engagements are mostly (what we call) referral jobs.

*When we audit a global company, of course we have to audit its branches. From there, the primary team, which is the auditor of the parent company, assigns the audit of the branches to the local firm/auditor, these are referral jobs.

As a senior staff, I have the role to oversee fieldwork and review the documents which my subordinates prepared.

Furthermore, I prepare the deliverables such as Summary of Review Memorandum, which is the most important document for the manager’s review before reporting these to the primary team. Finally, these deliverables will be reviewed by the primary team and if they have questions, they consult us about it.

2. Outlook about your job

Businesses nowadays are becoming global and as a result, auditors now have wider opportunities to work with foreigners or foreign offices.

So, I want to brush up on my English skills since I expect to be active in such market.

3. Changes experienced after promotion

As far as I can recall, I was promoted from being a junior to a senior staff about 3 or 4 years ago. Actually, it didn’t have much impact to my routine at that moment except for the salary and job description but my role and responsibility gradually became heavier and more difficult.

As time passed, the manager entrusted me with more challenging tasks which means performing some parts of his job. For instance, I even prepared all of the deliverables for the primary team.

4. interesting story about your job

There’s not much interesting things to do and talk about in the office but recently…

I’ve heard from an English partner who was involved with the Siemens engagement that EY London or other branches in England have yearly seats in the Premier League. I’m not sure as to which team they support but nevertheless any team is fine with me as long as they have good stadium seats. I believe they must have really good seats knowing that EY is one of the biggest firms in England so I hope I could capitalize on the chance to watch the match.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have moved this to the Editing and Writing Topics section as it is too long for the Ask a Teacher section.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I have moved this to the Editing and Writing Topics section as it is too long for the Ask a Teacher section.

Thanks so much. Apologies for the incorrect section.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers.

I have these probable answers to questions. I would like to know whether the answers are grammatically correct. And also, if you have better ways of constructing the sentences, you are more than welcome to revise :)

I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

1. The role and responsibility in your job

To begin with, I have been working in the International Department of the same company for nearly[STRIKE]/about[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] seven years. I’ve been involved in several engagements, although these engagements are mostly (what we call) referral jobs. (I follow the rule of spelling out any number below 10 and using numerals for any number larger than nine - nine, 10, two, 14. Your usage of "engagements", while not incorrect, is a bit odd. From an American perspective, I would either use "tasks", "contracts", or "jobs")

*When we audit a global company, of course we have to audit its branches. From there, the primary team, which is the auditor of the parent company, assigns the audit of the branches to the local [STRIKE]firm/[/STRIKE]auditor, these are referral jobs. When we audit a global company, we, of course, have to audit its branches.

As a senior staff member, I have the role to oversee fieldwork and review the documents which my subordinates prepared.
As a senior staff member, I have the role of overseeing the fieldwork and reviewing the documents which my subordinates have prepared.
As a senior staff member, my role is to oversee the fieldwork and to review the documents which my subordinates prepare.

Furthermore, I prepare the deliverables, such as the Summary of Review Memorandum, which is the most important document for the manager’s review, before [STRIKE]reporting these[/STRIKE] giving them to the primary team. Finally, these deliverables will be reviewed by the primary team, and if they have questions, they will consult us about [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them.

2. Outlook about your job

Businesses nowadays are becoming global, and as a result, auditors now have wider opportunities to work with foreigners or foreign offices. (I would use "foreign companies" here. "foreign offices" almost sounds as though you travel to another country)

So, I want to brush up on my English skills since I expect to be active in such markets.

3. Changes experienced after promotion

As far as I can recall, I was promoted from being a junior to a senior staff member about [STRIKE]3[/STRIKE] three or [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] four years ago. Actually, it didn’t have much impact [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] on my routine at [STRIKE]that moment[/STRIKE] the time, except for the salary and job description, but my role and [STRIKE]responsibility [/STRIKE] responsibilities gradually became heavier and more difficult.
("as far as I can recall" seems a rather odd thing to say about a major job promotion. It indicates either that you have a bad memory, or that the promotion was not important enough to remember)

As time passed, the manager entrusted me with more challenging tasks which [STRIKE]means [/STRIKE] meant performing some parts of his job. For instance, I even prepared all of the deliverables for the primary team.

4. interesting story about your job

There’s not much interesting things to do and talk about in the office but recently…
There are not many interesting things to do and talk about in the office, but recently...(I would delete this entire sentence. It sounds as though things are pretty boring and not much happens in the office)

I’ve heard from an English partner, who was involved with the Siemens engagement, that EY London, or other branches in England, have yearly seats in the Premier League. I’m not sure as to which team they support, but nevertheless, any team is fine with me as long as they have good stadium seats (Who has the seats, the EY group of the athletic team?) I would phrase it this way - ...any team is fine with me as long as I get good stadium seats). I believe they must have really good seats, knowing that EY is one of the biggest firms in England, so I hope I [STRIKE]could [/STRIKE] can capitalize on the chance to watch the match.
Gil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I appreciate your effort in reading and correcting my answers Gil.

1. Yes, I've learned way back about writing numbers but I guess I didn't mind at all because these probable answers are to be spoken rather than written.

I think 'engagement' is rather a specific term in Audit. I can read such word in our documents so I assume it's correct.

2. If I actually meant travelling to other countries for auditing jobs, I suppose the use of 'foreign offices' is correct?

3. As far as I can recall - Could you suggest other ways to introduce the sentence?

4. Working in an auditing firm, things are really pretty boring. Aside from that, I don't exactly socialize and talk with my colleagues as much.

I would say that 'they' refers to EY London or other branches, not specifically the athletic team.

Thanks!:cool:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I appreciate your effort in reading and correcting my answers Gil.

1. Yes, I've learned way back about writing numbers but I guess I didn't mind at all because these probable answers are to be spoken rather than written. Yes, you are correct. I brought this up because you indicated that you wanted to become better at the language. When pursuing exactitude, everything must be subject to examination - in other words, do everything correctly every time. There is really no hard and fast rule about using numerical or alphabetical characters, but it is more formal to use the rule I outlined.

I think 'engagement' is rather a specific term in Audit. I can read such word in our documents so I assume it's correct. That may be, and as long as your audience understands the word this way, it is fine. The problem is that most people would not understand it in the way you do.

2. If I actually meant travelling to other countries for auditing jobs, I suppose the use of 'foreign offices' is correct? I agree.

3. As far as I can recall - Could you suggest other ways to introduce the sentence? I don't believe that this phrase is needed at all - I would opt to delete it.

4. Working in an auditing firm, things are really pretty boring. Aside from that, I don't exactly socialize and talk with my colleagues [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] much.

I would say that 'they' refers to EY London or other branches, not specifically the athletic team.

Thanks!:cool:
Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.