[Grammar] will announce who will be going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lycen

Member Type
Student or Learner
This is incorrect:
I will see how it will go

What about this? Is it correct in such a context?

Someone will be going home.
(Later)I will announce the person who will be going home.

I also have another query. Does the sentence below seem equivocal?

I will announce the person who is going home (the person is presently going home but I'll announce it later).
I will announce the person who is going home (then; going home at the time of the announcement).

Thank you.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
My understanding:

This is incorrect:
I will see how it will go

No, it is not. Unless you introduce a first conditional idea (IF present, future), you can but you do not have to simplify tense in subordinate clauses when the superordinate clause already contains future tense (tense simplification). That is,

I will see how it will go. :tick:
I will see how it goes. :tick:

What about this? Is it correct in such a context?

Someone will be going home.
:tick:

I will announce the person who is going home (now) (the person is presently going home but I'll announce it later). :tick:
I will announce the person who is going home (then; going home at the time of the announcement).
(who is scheduled to go home sometime in the future)
I will announce the person who is going home (at the time of announcement). :tick:
Thank you.

The time adverbials clarify the time that tenses which verbs carry can't.

lycen

Member Type
Student or Learner
In my previous thread, an academic member Raymott told me that "We'll see how it will go" is bad English.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...ense-right-after-future-tense.html#post581822

It sounds funny to my ears too. In describing future events I normally see/hear the subordinate clause in present tense. Are you an American? Perhaps there's a difference in the American English grammar and the British one. I'm using the latter.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In my previous thread, an academic member Raymott told me that "We'll see how it will go" is bad English.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...ense-right-after-future-tense.html#post581822

I'm innocent!
Yes, I said it was bad English, not that it was syntactically incorrect. We were discussing usage, not grammar. Native speakers will say "We'll see how it goes". If any native speaker routinely says "We'll see how it will go", then I will stand corrected and amend it to "Almost no one says that".

It sounds funny to my ears too.
To mine too. But, at least in English, you can say a lot of grammatical things that sound strange and which native speakers just don't say.

Your first meaning is unlikely. The second is possible.
In reality shows, the sentence is as above. The host will announce the name (after the commercial break) and the person will then leave (ten minutes after the announcement).

R.

Last edited:

lycen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Your first meaning is unlikely. The second is possible.
In reality shows, the sentence is as above. The host will announce the name (after the commercial break) and the person will then leave (ten minutes after the announcement).

Modal "Will" can mean the future 'will" or the non-future certainty/volitional/commanding "will". In my example:

Someone will be going home (but the decision hasn't been made).
(Later)I will announce (the person) who will be going home.

I assume that the second "will" does not add another level futurity to an already future event. Am I right to say that the second "will" merely voices a certainty of going home at the time of announcement, without expressing a future sense (i.e. the future after the time of announcement).

We can change "will be going home" to "is going home" too, can't we?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I will announce the person who will be going home.

The second will is a future continuous tense auxiliary because it is part of a will + be + -ing construction. It can't express volition.

I will announce the person who will go home.

Here will can be taken as a synonym for willingness.

Last edited:

lycen

Member Type
Student or Learner
The second will is a future continuous tense auxiliary because it is part of a will + be + -ing construction. It can't express volition.

But I meant the "will" of certainty without futurity and not volition. As in:

Don't disturb him because he will be doing his work (right now).

Here will can be taken as a synonym for willingness.

L.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I will announce the person who will be going home.

will = the person' going home is certain in the future. It has been decided. I cannot always treat futurity and certainty separately.
Is this what you need? Sorry I have to concentrate on other things too (I am at work). :oops:

lycen

Member Type
Student or Learner
will = the person' going home is certain in the future. It has been decided. I cannot always treat futurity and certainty separately.
Is this what you need? Sorry I have to concentrate on other things too (I am at work). :oops:

No, "will" can be non-future (and of course expressing certainty) and it's certainly listed in grammar textbooks.

I will be/am going now.
He will be/is watching television at this time of the day.
I will get him right this moment.

You are digressing from my topic. I am sorry to have bothered you, but you could reply when you are free. There's no rush! Anyone could reply in this forum and I was not specifically asking you. Anyway, my latest questions are mainly directed to Raymott. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Modal "Will" can mean the future 'will" or the non-future certainty/volitional/commanding "will". In my example:

Someone will be going home (but the decision hasn't been made).
The decision about who is going home might or might not have been made yet. I don't see how it matters to the current argument. Someone will be going home because someone has to go home according to the rules of the game/show.
It seems to me that this implies both certainty and futurity.
Certainty in the present would require "Someone is going home".

(Later)I will announce (the person) who will be going home.

This doesn't imply that there currently exists a specific person who will be going home.

I assume that the second "will" does not add another level futurity to an already future event.
I think it does, as I indicated in my previous post. If the person hasn't been chosen yet (the votes aren't yet in), there is no current specific "person who will be going home" that the host can be referring to.

Am I right to say that the second "will" merely voices a certainty of going home at the time of announcement, without expressing a future sense (i.e. the future after the time of announcement).
I don't believe so.

We can change "will be going home" to "is going home" too, can't we?
Yes, that's possible grammatically and semantically. But I don't see how it helps your argument because the present tense "is going home" can also be used to indicate futurity. When this announcement is made, there is not necessarily a confirmed "person who is going home tonight" either.
R.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
No, "will" can be non-future (and of course expressing certainty) and it's certainly listed in grammar textbooks.
[/QUOTE]

I never said it can't. Are you in a rush too? :)
And I beg your pardon for devoting my time to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.