Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Does the part in parentheses make sense to you?

"To plead about only one version or a selection of the versions in the rejoinder and the counterclaim replication (nota bene each about the validity and the supposed infringement) would not be sensible, and to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

"Each" is supposed to refer to the rejoinder and the counterclaim replication.

Thanks a lot!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does the part in parentheses make sense to you?

"To plead about only one version or a selection of the versions in the rejoinder and the counterclaim replication (nota bene each about the validity and the supposed infringement) would not be sensible, and to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

"Each" is supposed to refer to the rejoinder and the counterclaim replication.

Thanks a lot!
'To contest only one version, or specific versions, in the rejoinder and counterclaim (each of which relates to the validity of [what eactly/ 'the right'?] and its supposed infringement) would not be a sensible approach, whilst to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected.' I dropped 'replication' because I've no idea what it means and the sentence sounds right without it, although that could change if I knew what it meant! PS: 'nota bene' (aka NB) means 'please note' or literally 'note well'. It's not something you'd usually write in a sentence like this, which sounds like it comes from a legal document.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
'To contest only one version, or specific versions, in the rejoinder and counterclaim (each of which relates to the validity of [what eactly/ 'the right'?] and its supposed infringement) would not be a sensible approach, whilst to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected.' I dropped 'replication' because I've no idea what it means and the sentence sounds right without it, although that could change if I knew what it meant! PS: 'nota bene' (aka NB) means 'please note' or literally 'note well'. It's not something you'd usually write in a sentence like this, which sounds like it comes from a legal document.

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, "contest" won't work in my sentence. Here's the context:

"At present 14 different versions of Patent XXX claims are possible. The subsidiary requests encompass in part several claims, of which some nearly fill an A4 page. To plead about only one version or a selection of the versions in the reply and the counterclaim reply (nota bene in each about the validity and the alleged infringement[of the patent claims]) would not be a sensible approach, while to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

I don't know if "plead" can be used that way. (In essence, it's supposed to mean "make arguments".) I wouldn't normally write such sentences, but I'm trying to translate a difficult text.

Does the sentence make more sense to you now?

Thank you once again for your feedback! It's great to have a legal proofreader on this forum.

Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Does it make more sense now?

Thanks.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, "contest" won't work in my sentence. Here's the context:

"At present 14 different versions of Patent XXX claims are possible. The subsidiary requests encompass in part several claims, of which some nearly fill an A4 page. To plead about only one version or a selection of the versions in the reply and the counterclaim reply (nota bene in each about the validity and the alleged infringement[of the patent claims]) would not be a sensible approach, while to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

I don't know if "plead" can be used that way. (In essence, it's supposed to mean "make arguments".) I wouldn't normally write such sentences, but I'm trying to translate a difficult text.

Does the sentence make more sense to you now?

Thank you once again for your feedback! It's great to have a legal proofreader on this forum.

I wasn't sure whether there were 14 versions of a single patent claim or 14 versions of several patent claims - you use 'claims' but I have assumed, for the purpose of returning something back to you, that you mean 'claim'. Also, I wasn't 100% sure if the requests or the versions were 'nearly an A4 page in length' - I thought it reasonable to assume the requests.

"14 different versions of the Patent X claim have so far been acknowledged. The subsidiary requests relate, in part, to certain versions only, some of which are nearly an A4 page in length. To limit arguments in the reply and counterclaim (each of which relates to the validity and alleged infringement of the patent claim) to (one or more of) these specific versions would not be a sensible approach, whilst to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I wasn't sure whether there were 14 versions of a single patent claim or 14 versions of several patent claims - you use 'claims' but I have assumed, for the purpose of returning something back to you, that you mean 'claim'. Also, I wasn't 100% sure if the requests or the versions were 'nearly an A4 page in length' - I thought it reasonable to assume the requests.

"14 different versions of the Patent X claim have so far been acknowledged. The subsidiary requests relate, in part, to certain versions only, some of which are nearly an A4 page in length. To limit arguments in the reply and counterclaim (each of which relates to the validity and alleged infringement of the patent claim) to (one or more of) these specific versions would not be a sensible approach, whilst to comment on all the versions cannot reasonably be expected."

Thank you for taking the time to write that!

Now that I've re-read the original, I've noticed that it's quite open to interpretation.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.