Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can only "nonethless" work here? What about however? I think however also works here. What do you think? And what is the fundamental difference between nonetheless and however?

ex)The willingness to take a risk is very important in starting a new business. Instead of working in an already established business, an entrepreneur enters an area in which success is not guaranteed. Thus, a certain amount of uncertainty always exists for a new business. The point is whether you try or not. For example, Debbi Fields, the owner of a highly successful chain of cookie stores, was told to stay out of the business. People said that no one would buy her cookies, since cookies are available in supermarkets everywhere. ( ), she was sure that there was a strong demand for fresh, hot cookies. She invested all her money and even persuaded a bank to finance her new business. Her venture proved to be successful ―her company is worth over 450 million dollars today.

What is the answer in the blank?
1)Nonetheless 2)however 3)For example 4)therefore

minnieuk

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
In that context, nonetheless and however are interchangeable so you could use either. In this context, they both mean 'yet' or 'nevertheless'.

The only difference between them is that however can also be used to mean 'in whatever manner or state', for instance in the sentence: 'Style your hair however you prefer'. Nonetheless is never used in this way.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is the answer in the blank?
1)Nonetheless 2)however 3)For example 4)therefore
The answer is "however". "Nonetheless" is not appropriate here.

The two words are sometimes interchangeable, but "however" is closer in meaning to "but, and "nonetheless" to " despite this". If you omitted "she was sure that there was a strong demand for fresh, hot cookies","nonetheless" would be possible. She was sure, and not despite what people said. She invested her money despite what people said.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The answer is "however". "Nonetheless" is not appropriate here.

The two words are sometimes interchangeable, but "however" is closer in meaning to "but, and "nonetheless" to " despite this". If you omitted "she was sure that there was a strong demand for fresh, hot cookies","nonetheless" would be possible. She was sure, and not despite what people said. She invested her money despite what people said.
Actually this is a question in a Korean high school's mock-up test for university entrance exam, and the original writing had "nonetheless". The thing is, this question was a little varied to be a question in another test. So I think, as both of you said, however and nonethless both work here as they both denote the contradictory relationship between the previous part and the following part.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's interesting...at first glance I would have only answered "however" given the choices in the exam. And I am a native. However, I would have also given "nevertheless" as an answer. Then being curious I decided to research "nonetheless" (which I must say is rare to hear in my region of the US) -- I found that it is a synonym of nonetheless and is defined to mean "in spite of that fact" -- which fits perfectly for this example.

So is it wrong to have chosen "however?" -- no, I think not. We have two natives in this thread (me and fivejedjon) responding that "however" is correct given the choices.

Sometimes these questions apply non-native usage and although correct do not consider idiomatic speech.

Not a teacher -- AmE native

Status
Not open for further replies.