Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Relationship between a politician and a journalist will no longer 'be one of subordinate or obsequious. It is one of equal'."

Could you please tell me the meaning of these sentences I am a bit confused?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you looked up "subordinate" and "obsequious"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These sentences are very badly written. I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out what their author intended.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
These sentences are very badly written. I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out what their author intended.

I heard a journalist say these on TV. Are these incorrect? I couldn't get there meaning correctly that is why I asked you. Could you please correct them so that I can understand please. I couldn't get this part "be one of subordinate or obsequious. It is one of equal".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is it about the meaning of "subordinate" do you not understand? Could you tell me more? I consider the word has a pretty straight-forward meaning. Because if you understand the word, I don't see how you don't get the meaning of the sentence.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't suppose you heard this on TV and put it in writing yourself? Because if that is the case, I would be the one who got stumped.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't suppose you heard this on TV and put it in writing yourself? Because if that is the case, I would be the one who got stumped.

I never lie. I can provide you the link of the video as well if you don't believe me.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is it about the meaning of "subordinate" do you not understand? Could you tell me more? I consider the word has a pretty straight-forward meaning. Because if you understand the word, I don't see how you don't get the meaning of the sentence.

I am confused about the sentence structure. I couldn't get its meaning. I know what that person wants to say but it seemed like a weird construction "will no longer 'be one of subordinate or obsequious. It is one of equal'." This part is weird for me and what does "one of equal" mean?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If that's definitely what the person said, it was badly worded. Basically, it means:

The relationship between a politician and a journalist will no longer be a relationship in which one is superior and the other is inferior. It will be a relationship in which both people are equal.

The original is weird because:

1. The article is missing at the beginning of the sentence.
2. It sounds like he/she used "subordinate" as a noun but "obsequious" is an adjective. It's a strange combination.
3. "It is one of equal" is nonsense. The last word could be "equals" or "equality" but the original makes no sense.

I'd like to see the original video please.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never lie. I can provide you the link of the video as well if you don't believe me.

Of course, I believe you. Could you provide the link? We may be able to figure out what the reporter really said. Students miss articles all the time when reporters speak too fast.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Of course, I believe you. Could you provide the link? We may be able to figure out what the reporter really said. Students miss articles all the time when reporters speak too fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2Ll_gAtEk. Here is the link. Check it at 3:00. At 2:30 he say something like "we are not part of your luotein circuit" please check that as well what does it mean?

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I couldn't find that sentence at 3 or 2:30. May I suggest you start listening to native English speakers? There is nothing wrong with listening to your country's programming but if you really want your English understood by native speakers, I don't think listening to non-natives helps very much.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I couldn't find that sentence at 3 or 2:30. May I suggest you start listening to native English speakers? There is nothing wrong with listening to your country's programming but if you really want your English understood by native speakers, I don't think listening to non-natives helps very much.

Sorry I gave you the wrong time (I don't know what to write here "time" or something else) Please check at 3:43 and at 3:16 he says something like "I am not a part of your luotein circuit" what does it mean?

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think he said "a relationship between a politician and a journalist will no longer be one of subordinate or obsequious. It is one of equals." I have no idea what he said at 3:16. As you can see, I am not very good at understanding people with an Indian accent. Perhaps, someone else can help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard the same as andrewg27 except I heard "subordinate or obsequiousness". I haven't a clue what was said at 3:16. I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more. They were shouting over each other which made it really hard to understand.

Tufguy, the problems you have when listening to BrE/AmE native speakers are now being experienced by us, when we try to listen to Indian English. I'm certainly struggling with it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
3:16 does kind of sound something like 'luotein'. Could it be routine?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think he said "a relationship between a politician and a journalist will no longer be one of subordinate or obsequious. It is one of equals." I have no idea what he said at 3:16. As you can see, I am not very good at understanding people with an Indian accent. Perhaps, someone else can help.

But is it correct according to you? EMS was saying no.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He says "...one of subordinate and obsequiousness. It is one of equal."

It should be ...one of subordination and obsequiousness. It is one of equality.

Status
Not open for further replies.