Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Okay. I'm Malaysian, a chinese from Malaysia. I'm 20 year old, chinese educated, and i started to speak English when I was 18year old.In Malaysia, we speak British English. Main language that we used is Bahasa Melayu. We have a lot languages in our country. So we used to mixed up all the languages into one sentence. The reason why I learn Enlgish because I have a English educated girlfriend and if I'm good in speaking and writing in english, it will help me a lot in working field and somehow I found that english is fun.

Behide the word *never* must be a past tense??

That's all. thanks a lot=) good day!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]Okay[/STRIKE]. I'm Malaysian, a [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE] Chinese from Malaysia. I'm 20 year old, [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]Chinese-educated, and [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I started to speak English when I was 18spaceyears old.spaceIn Malaysia, we speak British English. The [STRIKE]M[/STRIKE] main language that we use[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] is Bahasa Melayu. We have a lot languages in our country. So we are used to mix[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE]ing up all the languages into one sentence. The reason [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] I learn Enlgish because I have an English-educated girlfriend and if I'm good in speaking and writing in [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]English, it will help me a lot in [STRIKE]working field[/STRIKE] the field of work, and somehow I found that [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]English is fun.

any student/any students? Very often, both are possible.

"Any student(s) discovered cheating in the preliminary examination will be expelled."

Welcome to the forum, ahmin. Please post only one question per thread. If people started responding to all your questions here, this thread would become hopelessly confused. Also, if you ask one question at a time, you will be able to consider the responses and, if necessary, ask follow-up questions.

Please delete all the questions after the first, and start a separate thread for each.

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Welcome to the forum, ahmin. Please post only one question per thread. If people started responding to all your questions here, this thread would become hopelessly confused. Also, if you ask one question at a time, you will be able to consider the responses and, if necessary, ask follow-up questions.

Please delete all the questions after the first, and start a separate thread for each.

Thanks for telling me that, I'm a newbie=);-)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay. I'm Malaysian, a chinese from Malaysia. I'm 20 year old, chinese educated, and i started to speak English when I was 18year old.In Malaysia, we speak British English. Main language that we used is Bahasa Melayu. We have a lot languages in our country. So we used to mixed up all the languages into one sentence. The reason why I learn Enlgish because I have a English educated girlfriend and if I'm good in speaking and writing in english, it will help me a lot in working field and somehow I found that english is fun.

Okay. I've a lot of questions to ask. So far, I've only thought of these.

any student/any students? Could be either depending on context and, for example, use of is / are.
Behide (beside?) the word *never* must be a past tense?? No, but could be.
I used to watched this movie long time ago./I used to watch/I use to watched. Infinitive/base form of verb after "used to".
past tense/present tense/past perfect and etc...that confused me a lot. Could any of you guys can provide me a website to master these? learnenglish.be
Im so impressed of what you did just now/ I'm so impressed with/ I'm so impressed by
I'm confused by this sentence/Im confused of this sentence/ I'm confused with this sentence...which one could be the correct one?? Can any one tell me the usage of these ?? Either one works.
The verbs after *IF* it has to be a past tense? or present tense? if you watched/watch that movie already, why [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] didn't you tell me earlier/early? Past tense. "already" is the key.
I know that I have to add s (to the verb for simple present) after the word IT. example: it has, it helps...etc. what if there is a word between them? it will help/helps you a lot if you study it. Simple future with "will" always uses the infinitve/base form of the verb for 1st, 2nd, 3rd person singular and plural.
The last time we meet was 10 years ago/ the last time we met was 10 years ago/ the last time we met is 10 years ago. Past tense irregular.
That's all. thanks a lot=) good day!

b.

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Thanks for the reply!! But I'm still confused with this sentence. The last time we met was 10 years ago. Since you've said that past tense irregular. Could you write me the correct sentence? thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, as somebody has responded to all of your questions in one thread, let's try to deal with a few .

Behide the word *never* must be a past tense?[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE] X .....Must the word 'never' be used with a past tense?
No. It can be used with a range of tenses. If you are not sure about a particular sentence, post it in this forum and we will comment on it.

I used to watch[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] this movie a long time ago.
It's correct now; it does suggest that you watched it on several occasions.

Does The verb[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] after *IF* [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] ha[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ve to be a past tense? or present tense?
If you had seen that film already, why didn't you tell me?
If you have seen that film already, why didn't you tell me
?

These are both possible in BrE - with slightly different meanings.The following is unnatural in BrE:

If you saw that film already, why didn't you tell me?

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Well, as somebody has responded to all of your questions in one thread, let's try to deal with a few .

Behide the word *never* must be a past tense?[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE] X .....Must the word 'never' be used with a past tense?
No. It can be used with a range of tenses. If you are not sure about a particular sentence, post it in this forum and we will comment on it.

I used to watch[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] this movie a long time ago.
It's correct now; it does suggest that you watched it on several occasions.

Does The verb[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] after *IF* [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] ha[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ve to be a past tense? or present tense?
If you had seen that film already, why didn't you tell me?
If you have seen that film already, why didn't you tell me
?

These are both possible in BrE - with slightly different meanings.The following is unnatural in BrE:

If you saw that film already, why didn't you tell me?

Oh my god..thanks a lot!!! I have been learning English hardly since the day that I have couple with her, she encouraged me a lot=) I know it will be hard for me to learn English but I will work hard for it!=) Thanks! I'm pretty sure that I will come to this forum every day=) by the way, is there any way to improve/learn English??=) beside doing exercise,buy books, read newspaper. thanks!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the reply!! But I'm still confused with this sentence. The last time we met was 10 years ago. Since you've said that past tense irregular. Could you write me the correct sentence? thank you!

"The last time we met was 10 years ago." Nothing wrong with this. I meant only to emphasize that "meet" is irregular and the past tense is "met".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think reading (good material, not personal blogs or comments that follow news stories) will help you the most. If you can listen to English-language broadcasts (you can download many free podcasts from iTunes on so many different topics!) that will help you too.

Good luck with your studies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have been learning English hardly since the day that I have couple with her ...

I had to take the above sentence from your earlier post and make two points:

1) I don't think "hardly" is the word you were looking for. Perhaps "almost since"?
2) "since the day that I have couple with her ..." I think you meant "since the day that we became a couple" or "since the day we got together".
Be careful with "couple" because it is also a verb which can mean "have sex". On that basis, there is a danger that people might think you meant "I have been learning English since the day that I coupled with her ...", which would mean "I have been learning English since the first time we had sex ..."

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I had to take the above sentence from your earlier post and make two points:

1) I don't think "hardly" is the word you were looking for. Perhaps "almost since"?
2) "since the day that I have couple with her ..." I think you meant "since the day that we became a couple" or "since the day we got together".
Be careful with "couple" because it is also a verb which can mean "have sex". On that basis, there is a danger that people might think you meant "I have been learning English since the day that I coupled with her ...", which would mean "I have been learning English since the first time we had sex ..."

1) Not exactly *almost since*. What I meant to say was something like study hard in English. Actually I used few minutes to think about the word that can replace hardly but too bad, i can't get any one. :-?

2)Oh my god, I never know about that. I thought couple only meant to *got together* Thank you for telling me that. Now i learn something new. Wooops! Thanks. This is a useful website :up:
So I'd choose...since that day we got together. It'd be much easier for me to speak.

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"The last time we met was 10 years ago." Nothing wrong with this. I meant only to emphasize that "meet" is irregular and the past tense is "met".

Okay..I think I know what you are trying to say =) thanks!

ahmin92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think reading (good material, not personal blogs or comments that follow news stories) will help you the most. If you can listen to English-language broadcasts (you can download many free podcasts from iTunes on so many different topics!) that will help you too.

Good luck with your studies.

I watch English-language drama like Vampire diaries, Walking dead, Lie to me and so on. There are two subtitles which are in Chinese and English. I'm training myself to read the subtitle and listen carefully what they say and now I'm planing to buy novel like Twilight(sad to say but it's true that this is the only novel that i know) to read and will try to check the dictionary if there is word that I don't understand. :) thanks! Oh ya! I bought a book named as Mastering English Grammar and Usage. Thanks a lot. You guys are so kind!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.