Current Location
Poland
What is the meaning of this statement?

1. That is what troubled me.

or

2. That is what I had in mind.

or

3. Something else?

I would vote for the interpretaion number 1 and number 1 only, but then again this fragment of a very popular song "you are always on my mind" suggests that interpretation number 2 is also correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the meaning of this statement?

1. That is what troubled me.

or

2. That is what I had in mind.

or

3. Something else?

I would vote for the interpretaion number 1 and number 1 only, but then again this fragment of a very popular song "you are always on my mind" suggests that interpretation number 2 is also correct.

"You were always on my mind" means "I was thinking about you all the time".

I have something on my mind = something is troubling me/I am a little worried about something.
This is what I had in mind = this is what I was thinking about/this was the idea I had.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"You were always on my mind" means "I was thinking about you all the time".

I have something on my mind = something is troubling me/I am a little worried about something.
This is what I had in mind = this is what I was thinking about/this was the idea I had.

Thank you, but I hoped to establish a link between the expression in the subject matter of my thread and the two proposed interpretations (or the lack thereof)

Let me put my question in a context. Let's imagine this conversation:

A. My husband went on a business trip to some African country ... I don't quite remember which now.
B. Angola?
C. Yes! That was on my mind.

My question is whether this use of "on my mind" is acceptable. I have a gut feeling that it is not, but in view of "you are always on my mind" I am not so sure. However my bet is: "C. Yes! That is what I had in mind."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, but I hoped to establish a link between the expression in the subject matter of my thread and the two proposed interpretations (or the lack thereof)

Let me put my question in a context. Let's imagine this conversation:

A. My husband went on a business trip to some African country ... I don't quite remember which now.
B. Angola?
C. Yes! That was on my mind.

My question is whether this use of "on my mind" is acceptable. I have a gut feeling that it is not, but in view of "you are always on my mind" I am not so sure. However my bet is: "C. Yes! That is what I had in mind."

I understand what you're getting at, but at C I would not use any phrase containing the word "mind". If at B the speaker had successfully suggested Angola, I would simply say "Yes! That's the one!" or "Yes! That was it!"

The following exchange might take place:

A. I am thinking of a number between one and ten. What is it?
B. Seven?
C: Yes, that's exactly the number I had in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.