When does one use -ible and when does one use -able?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotancohen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
The ability to do something is often conveyed in English with either the suffix -ible or the suffix -able. In the absence of a dictionary, how does one know which to use?

-able example:
Accessible, not accessable.

-ible examle:
Cleanable, not cleanible.

Thanks.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
The ability to do something is often conveyed in English with either the suffix -ible or the suffix -able. In the absence of a dictionary, how does one know which to use?

You read a lot and get to know which one "looks right." Sorry but unless you really want to study etymology this is the easiest way.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

Good ideal, pls try to keep posting. I like this topic very much and I will digged this one. Tks again.

Is this some sort of a bot? :-?

dotancohen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I don't know the answer to this buy I found the following:

-able | Define -able at Dictionary.com

To make you more confused, there's also the suffix -ble :-(

Great, thanks. I was hoping that there would be some sort of rule behind the matter. Though etymology does in fact interest me, I certainly will not make a profession of it.

Is this some sort of a bot?
Is that an allusion to The Naked Gun?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Great, thanks. I was hoping that there would be some sort of rule behind the matter. ...

Well there is, and it's been discussed here before. It has a few exceptions, but most of the time you can take it that when a -Vble word is based on a recognizable verb, use -able; when a -Vble word starts with a morpheme that can't stand alone as a verb, use -ible.

So doable, laughable , manageable, reportable... from do, laugh, manage, reporrt

But legible, horrible, susceptible, possible... because you can't [STRIKE]leg[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]horr[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]suscept[/STRIKE] or [STRIKE]poss[/STRIKE].

There are quite a few exceptions, mostly -able words: capable, culpable, laudable, malleable... Here, only a knowledge of etymology will help; briefly, they are often words derived from an original Latin -abilis, rather than words that had the suffix '-able' added at a later stage.

But the exceptions are often words that English students won't meet anyway, so it's a fairly useful rule of thumb.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There are also exceptions to the rule: when a -Vble word starts with a morpheme that can't stand alone as a verb, use -ible, for example:

accessible, convertible

As BobK said, it's easy with the words that were coined recently. "-ible" is generally a nonproductive suffix in English, so new words take "-able". The problem is with Latin words in which the suffix depends on which conjugation the verb belonged to.

dotancohen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thanks. I now see the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of this page. I'll spend some time reading through them.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.