Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is the narration for a listening test. What does "shall" here mean? Is it intention or expectation of the future?
=================
The taxi driver said that he would get the bags out of the boot of his taxi, so the correct answer is A. Now we shall begin. You should answer the questions as you listen because you will not hear the recording a second time...

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
This is the narration for a listening test. What does "shall" here mean? Is it intention or expectation of the future?
=================
The taxi driver said that he would get the bags out of the boot of his taxi, so the correct answer is A. Now we shall begin. You should answer the questions as you listen because you will not hear the recording a second time...

I'd say the meaning of "shall" in your example is one of volition. The fact that it can be replaced without change of meaning by the ordinary volitional "will" would support that interpretation ("Now we will begin").

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
=================

In AmE it means the same thing as now we will begin,​ except that an American would think "this person talks strangely."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In Australia, 'shall' is almost obsolete. Most Australians would subconsciously read it as 'will' and get the precise meaning - if necessary - from the context.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
The fact that it can be replaced without change of meaning by the ordinary volitional "will" would support that interpretation ("Now we will begin").

Except that it can only be replaced by 'will' without changing the meaning if you don't see any difference between the two. If you see a difference, then you wouldn't.

I know that many native speakers no longer differentiate between 'shall' and 'will', and that many of them never use 'shall' at all, but consider the interrogative. I see a huge difference between, 'Shall we begin now?' and 'Will we begin now?'

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Roman55 above -- they are not identical in meaning. I quite like JMurray's way of putting it: shall suggests a kind of mild command.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Except that it can only be replaced by 'will' without changing the meaning if you don't see any difference between the two. If you see a difference, then you wouldn't.

I know that many native speakers no longer differentiate between 'shall' and 'will', and that many of them never use 'shall' at all, but consider the interrogative. I see a huge difference between, 'Shall we begin now?' and 'Will we begin now?'

The purpose of testing with "will" was to see if the meaning remained unchanged. It seemed to work okay, so it seemed reasonable to say that "shall" in the OP's example was volitional.

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
There is no way of knowing for certain what the writer intended. My guess is that s/he was simply using the almost-dead old-style BrE future 'tense', which, prescriptivists insisted, required shall for the first person and will for the second and third persons. This was thought to convey no shade of meaning except futurity. As a result of my age and education, I still use this, though I don't inflict it on my learners. in the e

I rather thought that the word "now" in the OP's example pretty much indicated present time, i.e. commencing immediately after the utterance. Prescriptivists also insisted that volitional "will" be restricted to 1st person with "shall" for 2nd/3rd person.

Status
Not open for further replies.