Need a word to describe a hostile way of answering questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

totanka

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am looking for a word to describe a particular behaviour illustrated by a fictional charater for a story I am writing.

The character "Dinsmaner" is very knowledgable in his specialty field of knowledge. When Dinsmaner is asked to answer a question about something he knows in his field, he will act and answer in a very aggravated and annoyed manner, with a hint of hostility and agitation. After having answered the question he leaves the questioner feeling very reluctant to ask him other questions. The questioner feels a bit terrorized afterwards.

Anyway, what word would best describe Dinsmaner when he answers questions in his specialty field?

Thanks, Bob

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If he feels that he is being attacked and his knowledge is being questioned, then his answers might be said to be defensive.

oregeezer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
What comes to mind is "dismissively" or "sarcastically".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am looking for a word to describe a particular behaviour illustrated by a fictional charater for a story I am writing.

The character "Dinsmaner" is very knowledgable in his specialty field of knowledge. When Dinsmaner is asked to answer a question about something he knows in his field, he will act and answer in a very aggravated and annoyed manner, with a hint of hostility and agitation. After having answered the question he leaves the questioner feeling very reluctant to ask him other questions. The questioner feels a bit terrorized afterwards.

Anyway, what word would best describe Dinsmaner when he answers questions in his specialty field?

Thanks, Bob
You've been given a few suggestions, but they mightn't work.
If he is not being defensive, he could simply be arrogant. He might feel that there's no point explaining such things to others because they couldn't possibly understand it.
So, why is he doing this?
And do you want an adjective to describe him, a noun to call him ...?

the_mindkeeper

Member Type
English Teacher
How about "brusque" or "blunt"?

Thanks, Bob

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about spitefull?
So you don't know why he does it?
He's your character. If you want to make him spiteful, or defensive, or arrogant, that's up to you. But none of these words describes his actual behaviour. They are all descriptions of the character trait that causes his behaviour, and that's something that you have to decide.
His behaviour is rude, abrupt, impolite ... or the ones mindkeeper has given.

Last edited:

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If he is not being defensive, he could simply be arrogant.
Arrogant people often get defensive. There's no way back usually ;-)

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

phutchison

Member Type
Other