Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm designing a book for a therapist, and although it's not my responsibility, some of the editing is driving me nuts and I'd like to steer him right.

His program is called "SimpleThree." In the text he refers to "other parents using the SimpleThree System" and the SimpleThree Level System, and the Simple Three Level Chart, and Simple Three Rules. I could understand all the words being capitalized as chapter titles, however, in the body of the text shouldn't it read the SimpleThree system and the SimpleThree level system, and the SimpleThree level chart, and the SimpleThree rules - without all the capitalization!

In other words, should he be capitalizing the words "system," "level system," "level chart," and "rules," each time they follow "SimpleThree" in the body of his text?

Thanks for your input.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
If the idea housed within the phrase is unique, capitalize the phrase.

The following phrases house unique ideas:

SimpleThree System
SimpleThree Level System
SimpleThree Level Chart
SimpleThree Rules

Ray J

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the idea housed within the phrase is unique, capitalize the phrase.

The following phrases house unique ideas:

SimpleThree System
SimpleThree Level System
SimpleThree Level Chart
SimpleThree Rules

So what your saying is that the line "The Simple Three support staff works hard to. . ." is incorrect and should read "The SimpleThree Support Staff works hard to . . . " ?????? It seem to me that if the 'unique ideas" thing is going to be applied anywhere, it needs to be applied everywhere.

What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm designing a book for a therapist, and although it's not my responsibility, some of the editing is driving me nuts and I'd like to steer him right.

His program is called "SimpleThree." In the text he refers to "other parents using the SimpleThree System" and the SimpleThree Level System, and the Simple Three Level Chart, and Simple Three Rules. I could understand all the words being capitalized as chapter titles, however, in the body of the text shouldn't it read the SimpleThree system and the SimpleThree level system, and the SimpleThree level chart, and the SimpleThree rules - without all the capitalization!

In other words, should he be capitalizing the words "system," "level system," "level chart," and "rules," each time they follow "SimpleThree" in the body of his text?

Thanks for your input.
I agree with you.
For example, if the whole thing is called the SimpleThree Level System, then by lauralie's rules, the chart should be called the SimpleThree Level System Level Chart.
He's possibly concerned about copyright or trademark issues, ie. if he calls something Simple Three Rules, they are better protected than if he calls them Simple Three rules, or even the rules of SimpleThree. I'm not an expert on this, but if that is not a concern, I'd retain the capitalisation for "SystemThree" only.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
So what your saying is that the line "The Simple Three support staff works hard to. . ." is incorrect and should read "The SimpleThree Support Staff works hard to . . . " ?????? It seem to me that if the 'unique ideas" thing is going to be applied anywhere, it needs to be applied everywhere.

What do you think?
I think the meaning housed in "support staff" is neither novel nor an idea created by the author of the SimpleThree System. So, write "The SimpleThree support staff" (by the way, is 'SimpleThree' one word or two?).

Status
Not open for further replies.