Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
We were given a stack of photocopies compiled by our "assistent teachers". As I read through them, I was completely shocked because there are some words which don't even exist. Beneath is my corrected version, maybe you can find more mistakes.
Thank you!

-----
1. Give examples of [STRIKE]France's[/STRIKE] French agricultural exports.
2. Say if the following statements are right or wrong, [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] if
they're wrong, correct them.
-France is the world's third [STRIKE]biggest[/STRIKE] largest [STRIKE]exportator[/STRIKE] exporter of agricultural products.

4 (There is no number 3) Fill in the missing word [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] into the cloze ( you can use the words below ) :

The capital of [STRIKE]france[/STRIKE] France is Paris.
The railway network of France (I would prefere "The French railway
network") is the second most extensive in Western Europe after the German one. It stretches 29,473 kilometers. (Can you really use "it stretches"?)
The Paris region is enveloped (does that exist?) with the most dense network of highways and roads.
France is [STRIKE]one of those countries with the highest number of tourists[/STRIKE] (There can only be one country with the most tourists -> France is the country which attracts the most tourists)
-----
One more question: Can you use "like for example"? Sounds a bit strange to me...

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One more question: Can you use "like for example"? Sounds a bit strange to me...

Fer sure! You like totally can if you're like a valley girl! :-D

You can do it in colloquial speech. A lot of people do it here. If you overuse it, you'll be looked upon with scorn.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Give examples of [STRIKE]France's[/STRIKE] French agricultural exports. France's is acceptable.

-France is the world's third [STRIKE]biggest[/STRIKE] largest [STRIKE]exportator[/STRIKE] exporter of agricultural products. biggest is acceptable.

Fill in the missing word [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] into the cloze ( you can use the words below ) : in is correct; into is not.

The capital of [STRIKE]france[/STRIKE] France is Paris. It's a typo!
The railway network of France (I would prefere "The French railway network") is the second most extensive in Western Europe after the German one.The railway network of France is fine.
It stretches 29,473 kilometers.
(Can you really use "it stretches"?) Yes.

One more question: Can you use "like for example"? Sounds a bit strange to me...Can you give an example of a sentence in which you feel that 'like' sounds strange?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
We were given a stack of photocopies compiled by our "assistent teachers". As I read through them, I was completely shocked because there are some words which don't even exist. Beneath is my corrected version, maybe you can find more mistakes.
Thank you!

-----
1. Give examples of [STRIKE]France's[/STRIKE] French agricultural exports. The original is OK.
2. Say if the following statements are right or wrong, [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] if
they're wrong, correct them.
-France is the world's third [STRIKE]biggest[/STRIKE] largest "biggest" is correct.[STRIKE]exportator[/STRIKE] exporter of agricultural products.

4 (There is no number 3) Fill in the missing word [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] into the cloze ( you can use the words below ) :

The capital of [STRIKE]france[/STRIKE] France is Paris.
The railway network of France (I would prefer "The French railway
network") is the second most extensive in Western Europe after the German one. It stretches 29,473 kilometers. (Can you really use "it stretches"?) Yes, though "covers" or "extends" might be better."The railway network of France" is OK.
The Paris region is enveloped (does that exist?) with the most dense network of highways and roads.
France is [STRIKE]one of those countries with the highest number of tourists[/STRIKE] (There can only be one country with the most tourists -> France is the country which attracts the most tourists)
-----

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When bhaisahab and I, independently, write our responses almost at the same time, we do come up with very similar responses. I like to think that this means we are correct. :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not sure what makes some of these 'terrible' - but corrections (where necessary) have already been made.

...The Paris region is enveloped (does that exist?) with the most dense network of highways and roads....

Yes, it exists. However:
  • It's inappropriate there - unless the region were covered (that is, completely obscured from sight)
  • When you note it as a 'new word', remember to note the stress: /ɪn'veləpt/

b

Status
Not open for further replies.