Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
A

Can you tell me if these two verbs "to lighten up" and "to settle down" mean the same thing in this sort of sentence and if they can be used indifferently in sentences like these ones?

1) Enought talk about business. Let's lighten things up/settle things down round here.
2) Settle down/Lighten up guys. You've been talking about death and coffin all night!
3) Stop talking like this and don't be so hard on you! Try to settle down/lighten up!

B

Do you think that the two verbs above can be substituted by other phrasal verbs, such as "to calm down" and "to cool down" without turning upside down the meaning of the sentence?

Thank you so much for the explanations.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A

Can you tell me if these two verbs "to lighten up" and "to settle down" mean the same thing in this sort of sentence and if they can be used [STRIKE]indifferently[/STRIKE] interchangeably in sentences like these ones? Well...., it depends on context as always.

1) Enought talk about business. Let's lighten things up/settle things down round here. In this context I get the sense "lighten up" would suggest simply that the speaker wanted to get off discussion of business related issues and talk perhaps about the upcoming holiday, for example. On the other hand, to use "settle down" would suggest to me, again in that context, that the business discussion was becoming heated or argumentative.
2) Settle down/Lighten up guys. You've been talking about death and coffin all night! Same as above. I would use "lighten up".
3) Stop talking like this and don't be so hard on yourself (yourselves)! Try to settle down/lighten up! Either could work. The person spoken to was excited.

B

Do you think that the two verbs above can be substituted by other phrasal verbs, such as "to calm down" and "to cool down" without turning upside down the meaning of the sentence? Either would typically be used when someone was excited or angry.

Thank you so much for the explanations.

b.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"to cool down"

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Dilodi:

I thought that you would like to know this:

One day I was waiting in a very long line at the bank. One young man was getting very impatient and starting to

say out loud some rude words. Another young man looked at him and said something like:

"Hey, dude. Chill!"

Sincerely yours,

James

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Dilodi:

I thought that you would like to know this:

One day I was waiting in a very long line at the bank. One young man was getting very impatient and starting to

say out loud some rude words. Another young man looked at him and said something like:

"Hey, dude. Chill!"

Sincerely yours,

James

Thanks so much for what you posted James....but is it a slang? or do you usually say it in English?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

1. I think that when people say "Chill" or "Chill out," we can label those words as "slang."

2. Actually, I do not know whether young people use that term much any more. Slang changes so fast.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.