Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello there every one = )

I am currently studying Phonetics !
Our professor asked us a question about the Glottal stop

And I would really like to hear your thoughts

The Q is : what do we mean by the glottal stop ? How dose it function and why dose it function in that way ???

Thank you in advance ;)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, kazuma.

We like to help when we can, but we don't help with assignments. If your professor asked you that question, then I imagine that he wants your response, not ours.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there [STRIKE]every one[/STRIKE] everyone. [STRIKE]= )[/STRIKE] (Use smilies from the toolbar if you must use them at all)

I am currently studying Phonetics. (No reason for an exclamation mark here)
Our professor asked us a question about the glottal stop and I would really like to hear your thoughts.

The question is "What do we mean by the glottal stop? How [STRIKE]dose[/STRIKE] does it function and why [STRIKE]dose[/STRIKE] does it function in that way?[STRIKE]??[/STRIKE]

Thank you in advance. [STRIKE];)[/STRIKE]

As 5jj said, we don't help with homework. However, please see the corrections I made to your post. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Well It is not a homework in all honestly , it is a side question for a free marks in return to who will answer it ( due to our level being so low in this subject ) .

And thank you Ms.emsr2d2 for your feed back .

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
We don't need titles (Mr, Ms, Mrs, Miss) here. If we did, emsr2d2 would be Ms!

H-huh ??
..... M-My sincerest apologies.
I was just trying to be polite , I guess I over did it hehe .

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
One thing I can tell you about the glottal stop: I find it really hard to produce! :oops: All I can say is that it is not a common phenomenon in AmE (which is the closest to my accent). Also, for non-native speakers (at least the ones I have met so far, and they were pretty much from all over the world), it tends to be hard, unless they have a good teacher.

I can say no more without answering the question for you, as of now. Good luck with the extra points!

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
One thing I can tell you about the glottal stop: I find it really hard to produce! :oops: All I can say is that it is not a common phenomenon in AmE (which is the closest to my accent). Also, for non-native speakers (at least the ones I have met so far, and they were pretty much from all over the world), it tends to be hard, unless they have a good teacher.

I can say no more without answering the question for you, as of now. Good luck with the extra points!

Well it is not entirely impossible nor it does require a teacher in the first place! .
As they always say : " Practice makes perfect ", you just have to hear and hear an d then (subcouncsly) with a little twist in your toungh ( in layman's terms *gulp*) , you will be able to .
And by subccouncsly I mean how do you actully close the ..... Valve ? in order to take out the letter T in the word letter ! , and that little twist will give you that NATIVE FELLING .

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the word you are looking for is "subconsciously".

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I think the word you are looking for is "subconsciously".[/QQUOT
Oops:-?
So .... Dare I say that I am on the right track ?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Actually, charliedeut, I think the glottal stop is fairly common in AmE. You are probably not hearing it because it does not occur in Spanish. But if you listen carefully you will hear many speakers substituting a glottal stop (which I denote as ') for the letter t. Football is often pronounced foo'baw. Similarly when we suddenly become aware of a problem, we often say uh'oh, usually written uh-oh. In these two examples the stop is fully produced. There is also often a shorter and more elided closure in words like mountain and fountain.

Last edited:

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
On my pride , I am not trying to pull a lie here.
It might seem impossible to be believed, but the proffeser said that it is okay to request help from others .
And to make it sound even weirder : he let one of the students to contact his brother ( apperntly he is a linguistic ) ......... Yeah no dice .

Last edited:

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Actually, charliedeut, I think the glottal stop is fairly common in AmE. You are probably not hearing it because it does not occur in Spanish. But if you listen carefully you will hear many speakers substituting a glottal stop (which I denote as ') for the letter t. Football is often pronounced foo'baw. Similarly when we suddenly become aware of a problem, we often say uh'oh, usually written uh-oh. In these two examples the stop is fully produced. There is also often a shorter and more elided closure in words like mountain and fountain.

Sorry I did not notice that there is a second page ( posting form my nexus 7 ).
Would you please explan what do you mean by Ame ?
Thank you for your reply :).

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Many who post in this forum use the abbreviations BrE and AmE for British English and American English.

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Many who post in this forum use the abbreviations BrE and AmE for British English and American English.

Oh , the thing that always gets me is that are they voiced , voiceless or both ?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The abbreviations are not used in speech, only in writing, and as far as I know only on this site.

Last edited:

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hmmmm , I made quite the progress here ! .
To begin with , it is not a sound at all !! , you just hold the BS in the vocal cords ( the gape where the glottist is located ) for a second or so to take out a letter , e.g. the double t in button.

I will just write down some notes in my note book and HOPFULY it will be sufficient tomorrow *shudders* .

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmmmm , I made quite the progress here ! .
To begin with , it is not a sound at all !! , you just hold the BS in the vocal cords ( the gape where the glottist is located ) for a second or so to take out a letter , e.g. the double t in button.

I will just write down some notes in my note book and HOPFULY it will be sufficient tomorrow *shudders* .

Please look at your post again - check the spacing around your punctuation. Remember that we do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark. Also, one single punctuation mark at the end of a sentence is enough.

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
SUOTE=emsrhve;]Please look at your post again - check the spacing around your punctuation. Remember that we do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark. Also, one single punctuation mark at the end of a sentence is enough.[/QUOTE]

I tend to do such mistakes mainly because I rearly write in English .
And also I study under teachers from the UK and the US and you know that they do not meet in some cases,and I do not self-study when it comes to writing .
Even my currnt Britch teacher said that I have a couple of problems in writing and most of them are just... silly : " HO HO HO you do write in the way you speak " .
I will take your notions into consedration,thank you once again :)

Last edited:

kazuma999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Speaking of writing, he should inform us about our marks in the last qiz tomorrow.
The story I wrote was somewhat on the cliche side ( the power of lying hehe), oh god a big day is closing in .......

Status
Not open for further replies.