Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this "as" means "because" judging from the context, but the translation goes "when", so it's confusing. What do you think?

ex)Janus, the Roman god of doorways, reminds us of the importance of seeing the past and looking toward the future. The pictures of Janus show eyes, nose, and mouth on both the front and back of his head. The reason for showing him like this is to show that a doorway is both an entrance and exit. As Janus stands in the doorway - the present - he can look forward and backward at the same time. The month of January is named after Janus, as it indicates the end of the old year and the beginning of a fresh new year....

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While he stands in the doorway. At the time when he stands in the doorway.

The same "as" as in "As you approach the summit, you'll be able to see..."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
While he stands in the doorway. At the time when he stands in the doorway.

The same "as" as in "As you approach the summit, you'll be able to see..."

Thanks a lot for every answer you've given me, it's been a great help because of you.
But in this case, why can't it be "because"? It's always confusing to select one of so many meanings of "as".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But in this case, why can't it be "because"? .
It could mean 'because'. I agree with Barb's interpretation, but the other is possible. However, I feel that if the writer had intended this meaning, s/he would probably have use 'because' or 'since'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do agree that the "because" meaning possible. but does he spend ALL of his time in a doorway?

If he moves around, then "when" he stand in the doorway, he can see...
If he's always depicted in a doorway, then "because" he stands in the doorway, he can see...

If he is temporarily standing in a doorway, you'd say "Because he is standing in the doorway..."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This may not be so important as the meaning can vary depending on the truth of Janus and what the writer intended. But Janus is called the god of beginnings and transitions, so I think his location is vital in his name. I think he must be located in doorways or gates. I think the writer intended "since, because" in high chance.

Janus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"....In ancient Roman religion and mythology, Janus is the god of beginnings and transitions,[1] thence also of gates, doors, doorways, endings and time. He is usually a two-faced god since he looks to the future and the past. The concepts of January and janitor are both based on aspects of Janus...."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think this "as" means "because" judging from the context, but the translation goes "when", so it's confusing. What do you think?

ex)Janus, the Roman god of doorways, reminds us of the importance of seeing the past and looking toward the future. The pictures of Janus show eyes, nose, and mouth on both the front and back of his head. The reason for showing him like this is to show that a doorway is both an entrance and exit. As Janus stands in the doorway - the present - he can look forward and backward at the same time. The month of January is named after Janus, as it indicates the end of the old year and the beginning of a fresh new year....

I agree with you that both interpretations of "as" are valid in the case of "As ...stands..." In fact, the "since" meaning is really just an extension of the "when" meaning, metaphorically; this means that in some cases, they're actually both correct, two sides of the same coin as it were.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I agree with you that both interpretations of "as" are valid in the case of "As ...stands..." In fact, the "since" meaning is really just an extension of the "when" meaning, metaphorically; this means that in some cases, they're actually both correct, two sides of the same coin as it were.

Thanks a lot, I've always told my students that other meanings are variants of the the original meaning like in "while" to mean "in different aspect" that comes from "during the time".
original)While I was in New York, I studied arts (during the time)
extension)While he like apples, I like peaches(In contrast to, derived from original meaning)
You made me realize "as" also has the same function for me to memorize and understand the various meanings well.
BTW, I'm just curious about your Japanese costume symbol, does it represent something? Just curious without anything special intended.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks a lot, I've always told my students that other meanings are variants of the the original meaning like in "while" to mean "in different aspect" that comes from "during the time".
extension)While he like apples, I like peaches(In contrast to, derived from original meaning)
You made me realize "as" also has the same function for me to memorize and understand the various meanings well.
BTW, I'm just curious about your Japanese costume symbol, does it represent something? Just curious without anything special intended.

I just love Mifune Toshiro as an actor, especially as Yojimbo and Musashi Miyamoto.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Right. Another example is "yet": it can mean "still" (the situation remains the same) or "however" (despite this...); but the one is really the extension of the other. If something remains the same despite another apparently competing circumstance, you need a conjunction that either shows the stridency, the continuity, of the state of affairs, or, a conjunction that shows the resistance of the situation to change; or, you can use a conjunction that means both, for the same reason. The two meanings are in fact inseparable.
Edit: the original meaning is continuity over time...

Status
Not open for further replies.