Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"A: You killed Wayne, you daft c*ck trough. Now we got the heat on us. You should have backed him up and let kill that bleeding guard. He's seen your face now, hasn't he? And he's not dead now, is he?

B: It was my call.

A: P*ss on your call. Your call makes a more dangerous situation for me.

C: Hey, we're going to get heat because Wayne, your f*cking guy, was high and you know it."

What do "get the heat on somebody" and "get heat" mean?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE they mean "get the police after us".

I'd have thought the BrE usage was different, but then I saw "daft cock trough". I don't understand it, but I know that "daft" is never heard in AmE. We'll need a native speaker of BrE to advise us.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That was my understanding of the term - a crude euphemism for the female genitalia. It actually has a certain crude logic to the term.

I may have heard the term before, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's just because it's so logical to work out that it sounds familiar. I was just guessing it's BrE based on 'daft' and 'bleeding'.

However, AmE does use the term 'heat' as slang for the police as well.

Note to the original poster - your post contains several potentially offensive words, so it's a good idea to replace some of the letters with asterisks. For example, 'c*ck' and 'f*cking', maybe even 'p*ss'.

Also, could the OP please provide a source?

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Note to the original poster - your post contains several potentially offensive words, so it's a good idea to replace some of the letters with asterisks. For example, 'c*ck' and 'f*cking', maybe even 'p*ss'.

Also, could the OP please provide a source?

First of all, I apologoize to those offended by that kind of language. I edited my post. I quoted this dialogue from the movie "Momentum", the translation of which I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.