[Grammar] Is the construction reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be in more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are...

In the above, after the second that there are 5 sentences, which say about the "kinds of things". My problem is:
1. Why are there 5 independent sentences in apposition without any conjunctions at all. Is the contruction reasonable?
2.In the first sentence ,what is the function of "the kinds of things"? Is it the object of "think"? But I don't think we can say"Ithink the kinds of things."
Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be in more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are...

In the above, after the second that there are 5 sentences, which say about the "kinds of things". My problem is:
1. Why are there 5 independent sentences in apposition without any conjunctions at all. Is the contruction reasonable?
2.In the first sentence ,what is the function of "the kinds of things"? Is it the object of "think"? But I don't think we can say"Ithink the kinds of things."
Thanks!

Where is this text from?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is from the China research student for master examination topic in 2008.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could you post the whole text please, or at least all the relevant part.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you post the whole text please, or at least all the relevant part.
I have
to post the following:
I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be in more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are exposed to more acts of random physical violence. The kinds of interpersonal violence that women are exposed to tend to be in domestic situations, by, unfortunately, parents or other family members, and they tend not to be one-shot deals. The wear-and -tear that comes from these longer relationships can be quite devastating.
Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have
to post the following:
I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be in more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are exposed to more acts of random physical violence. The kinds of interpersonal violence that women are exposed to tend to be in domestic situations, by, unfortunately, parents or other family members, and they tend not to be one-shot deals. The wear-and -tear that comes from these longer relationships can be quite devastating.
Thanks!

There are quite a few problems with this text, but the short sentences are OK. There is nothing ungrammatical about "I think that the kinds of things women are exposed to..."

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Reply to the above:
I am sorry but you haven't answered my questions completely.
thanks!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[not a teacher]

IMO:

1. Because this would be quite a mouthful: Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress and men are exposed to more acts of random physical violence and the kinds of interpersonal violence that women are exposed to tend to be in domestic situations, by, unfortunately, parents or other family members, and they tend not to be one-shot deals and the wear-and -tear that comes from these longer relationships can be quite devastating.

2. I think either of these are OK:

I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to ...
I think the kinds of things women are exposed to ...

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are quite a few problems with this text, but the short sentences are OK. There is nothing ungrammatical about "I think that the kinds of things women are exposed to..."
"There are quite a few problems with this text"----What are the problems?
As normal examination topic,I think that it should be very normal,not be written by pupils.Something like that and "nowhere else...was importance ..." are both not good English, at least.
Let me analyze the sentence. The first that is a conjunction, it's behind should be a clause,but ,as it is, is "the kinds of things"。 As for the second that, introducing 5 independent clauses in apposition to "things" without any conjunctions,can we say it is good English?

thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My thoughts:

I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are exposed to more acts of random physical violence. The kinds of interpersonal violence that women are exposed to tend to be in domestic situations, [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] committed, unfortunately, by parents or other family members, and they tend not to be [STRIKE]one-shot deals[/STRIKE] isolated incidents. The [STRIKE]wear-and-tear[/STRIKE] damage that comes from these longer relationships can be quite devastating.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My thoughts:

I think that the kinds of things that women are exposed to tend to be [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] more of a chronic or repeated nature. Men go to war and are exposed to combat stress. Men are exposed to more acts of random physical violence. The kinds of interpersonal violence that women are exposed to tend to be in domestic situations, [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] committed, unfortunately, by parents or other family members, and they tend not to be [STRIKE]one-shot deals[/STRIKE] isolated incidents. The [STRIKE]wear-and-tear[/STRIKE] damage that comes from these longer relationships can be quite devastating.

Teacher and student go their own way,each.
Thanks!

Last edited:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teacher and student go their own way,each.
Thanks!
I came to know where I was wrong by myself. In the original sentence the sencond that is not a conjunction ,but a relative pronoun which can be omitted. Because it is from a test topic, I think it is an obstacle madeby the tester prurosely.

Thaks !

Status
Not open for further replies.