Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"This is what I used to do two three days ago (I used to do it regularly but stopped doing it two three days ago)".

Please check.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two or three days ago.

Your parenthetical remark isn't part of the quotation, so put the closing quotation mark after ago.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: ... but, while "two or three" is correct, there is no way of accurately saying the written "two/three", so people quite often represent the slash with a pause: "two... three". This doesn't convey the absolute clarity of "two or three", which means "either two or three"; "I was away for two... three days" refers to a period ranging from 36 to 72 hours, not precisely 48 or 72.

The "or" form is better in anything but a colloquial context though - especially in exams, ;-)

b

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use until: until two or three days ago.

If you're writing, use or: two or three days ago.

If you're quoting a conversation or writing dialogue, put a comma between two and three: two, three days ago.

An ellipsis (. . .) either means that unneeded words were removed or that there was a very long pause. A dash (-) there would also signal a very long pause. A slash (/) would be meaningless.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Use until: until two or three days ago.

If you're writing, use or: two or three days ago.

If you're quoting a conversation or writing dialogue, put a comma between two and three: two, three days ago.

An ellipsis (. . .) either means that unneeded words were removed or that there was a very long pause. A dash (-) there would also signal a very long pause. A slash (/) would be meaningless.

"This is what I used to do until two or three days ago". Is it correct?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Correction for post# 1.

"This is what I used to do two or three days ago" (I used to do it regularly but stopped doing it two or three days ago).

Please check.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Correction for post# 1.

"This is what I used to do until two or three days ago." (I used to do it regularly but stopped doing it two or three days ago.)

Please check.

Didn't I answer this two or three days ago?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Correction for post# 1.

"This is what I used to do two or three days ago" (I used to do it regularly but stopped doing it two or three days ago).

Please check.
tufguy, this is not a productive thing to do. You've done it to me too. It makes you look as if you haven't read half the posts. If you're going to post an amended sentence, at least write it with the information you've just been given. I notice you've done that in post #5, and then you post a 'correction' that you know to be wrong. Why?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry, I thought I had to post the exact question. I didn't know that I could post the amended question. I will bear it in mind in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.