Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 84p.2

With reference to the variable of intensity, it is almost stating the obvious to say that bright lights or loud sounds can attract our attention. We have all been exposed to countless examples of commercial advertisements that seem to be based solely upon this premise.

One unusual example of the use of intensity in advertising contexts is the practice of time-compressed speech in radio commercials. The experiment conducted by LaBarbera and MacLachlan exposed people to five radio commercials that were either normal or time-compressed on the order of 130%.

These time-compressed commercials were not “sped up” by making the tape run faster; that would also increase the frequency of the auditory signal, and make the announcer sound like a high-pitched Mickey Mouse. Rather, the time-compression technique involves the shortening of pauses between words, and the reduction of the length of vowel sounds.

This results in a message that runs more quickly, without changing the pitch of the announcer’s voice. These researchers found that the time-compressed advertisements elicited more interest and better recall than the normal ads.

• This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.

Q : What are the benefits of time-compressed advertisements? Describe using in ten to twenty words

A : As they result in a message that runs more quickly, they elicit more interest and better recall than the normal ads.

=============================================
If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.

If you find any [STRIKE]improper[/STRIKE] incorrect words or content, please let me know.

Note my correction above. Look up "improper" and you'll see why it doesn't work there. If you're going to make a lot of these posts, please change the words in blue above. They're not grammatically correct.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 84p.2

With reference to the variable of intensity, it is almost stating the obvious to say that bright lights or loud sounds can attract our attention. We have all been exposed to countless examples of commercial advertisements that seem to be based solely upon this premise.

One unusual example of the use of intensity in advertising contexts is the practice of time-compressed speech in radio commercials. The experiment conducted by LaBarbera and MacLachlan exposed people to five radio commercials that were either normal or time-compressed on the order of 130%.

These time-compressed commercials were not “sped up” by making the tape run faster; that would also increase the frequency of the auditory signal, and make the announcer sound like a high-pitched Mickey Mouse. Rather, the time-compression technique involves the shortening of pauses between words, and the reduction of the length of vowel sounds.

This results in a message that runs more quickly, without changing the pitch of the announcer’s voice. These researchers found that the time-compressed advertisements elicited more interest and better recall than the normal ads.

• This question and answer are made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my students' finals.

Q : What are the benefits of time-compressed advertisements? Describe [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] in ten to twenty words

A : As they result in a message that runs more quickly, they elicit more interest and better recall than [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] normal ads.

=============================================
If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.
There!

Status
Not open for further replies.