Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'm trying to learn the difference between accurate and precise which, I assume, is subtle.

The context is : 'For a precise (accurate?) measurement of the room temperature, this thermometer requires waiting 1 minute'.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to learn the difference between accurate and precise which, I assume, is subtle.

The context is : 'For a precise (accurate?) measurement of the room temperature, this thermometer requires waiting 1 minute'.

***not a teacher***
I suppose "accurate" is used for something done/copied carefully, and just like what it was expected to be. And "precise" shows the exact amount, or the true detail of a number/temperature/time and so on.

Hope Sb will add some explanation.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I hope some dear posters correct me if I'm wrong. My interpretation is, in this case if we use "precise" for measurement, it'll refer to the result (which is a number) and how exact that number will be. And if "accurate" is used, it'll suggest that the action of measuring would be carefully done for a precise result.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They sometimes appear to be used as near-synonyms. The Concise Oxford Dictionary unhelpfully informs us:

accurate [...] 1. careful, precise
precise [...] 1a. accurately expressed

To me, 'accurate' carries an idea of 'correctness' that 'precise' does not, but this may be just a personal view.

rappiolla

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I hope some dear posters correct me if I'm wrong. My interpretation is, in this case if we use "precise" for measurement, it'll refer to the result (which is a number) and how exact that number will be. And if "accurate" is used, it'll suggest that the action of measuring would be carefully done for a precise result.

Thanks.
This bears out what I thought: accurate has a meaning close to careful.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This bears out what I thought: accurate has a meaning close to careful.
If I guess the age of someone as being "27 yrs, 4 mths and 3 days", that's a very precise guess. But if she's actually 25, "about 25" would be a more accurate, though less precise guess.

A micrometer can give a much more precise measurement than a ruler can. But if the micrometer is badly calibrated, the precise measurement might not be as accurate as ruler's measurement.

This explains it further:
Accuracy and precision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Accuracy is how close you are to hitting the mark. Precision is how repeatable you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.