Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
A: Let's go out for dinner.
B: Ok, this time you be my guest.

Hello everybody,
Why does the sentence above not write as 'this time you are/will be my guest'? The pronoun YOU is the second person, so its linking verb should be 'are'. If its copula is 'be', there must be an auxiliary or modal verb before it, such as WILL, DO, DID, CAN etc., right?

PS: If you find any errors in my English, would you mind correcting me, please. Thanks a lot!

Regards

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
羡鱼-Xianyu;596877 said:
A: Let's go out for dinner.
B: Ok, this time you be my guest.

Hello everybody,
Why does the sentence above not write as 'this time you are/will be my guest'? The pronoun YOU is the second person, so its linking verb should be 'are'. If its copula is 'be', there must be an auxiliary or modal verb before it, such as WILL, DO, DID, CAN etc., right?

PS: If you find any errors in my English, would you mind correcting me, please. Thanks a lot!

Regards
The phrase "Be my guest", an idiom, must be referring to "YOU" in the circumstances. It turns out to be superfluous if "ÿou" is added.
(Not a teacher)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The phrase "Be my guest", an idiom, must be referring to "YOU" in the circumstances. It turns out to be superfluous if "ÿou" is added.
(Not a teacher)

It's true that "Be my guest" is an idiom, but it doesn't really apply in situations like this where someone actually really is going to be a guest. An example would be:

Q - Can I read/borrow that newspaper that you just put down, if you're not reading it?
A - Be my guest.

It means "Of course, go ahead".

In the example given, I would say

- Let's go out for dinner!
- Yes, but this time you will be my guest.

The use of "this time" suggests that perhaps at some point in the past, the first speaker took the second speaker out for a meal and paid for everything and now he wants to return the favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.