• Start date
  • Views : 2,490
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hi,

I am standing at the red spot.

1. Where is the blue building, and where is the green building taking reference of the road-crossing?
2. How can I get to the two buildings from where I am respectively? Suppose the North is on the top if necessary.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-19-16-13-44-2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-19-16-13-44-2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I am standing at the red spot.

1. Where is the blue building, and where is the green building taking reference of the road-crossing?
2. How can I get to the two buildings from where I am respectively? Suppose the North is on the top if necessary.

Thanks a lot!

Both the green and blue buildings are just south of the intersection.

To get to the blue building: walk south through the intersection and continue straight ahead to the blue building.
To get to the green building: walk south through the intersection, then turn right and cross the street, then turn left and walk straight ahead to the green building.

Y

Yourjones

Both the green and blue buildings are just south of the intersection.

To get to the blue building: walk south through the intersection and continue straight ahead to the blue building.
To get to the green building: walk south through the intersection, then turn right and cross the street, then turn left and walk straight ahead to the green building.

If I say "The blue building is across the intersection", then can I say "The green building is at the furthest corner of the intersection"? I am almost sure this doesn't make sense. But if I cannot find where the North is (sorry about this), how can I describe where the green building is in relation to where I am (the red spot) taking reference of the intersection? Thanks a lot!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I say "The blue building is across the intersection", then can I say "The green building is at the furthest corner of the intersection"? I am almost sure this doesn't make sense. But if I cannot find where the North is (sorry about this), how can I describe where the green building is in relation to where I am (the red spot) taking reference of the intersection? Thanks a lot!

The green building does not appear to be on the corner (hard to tell). If you don't know the compass directions, you could say the green building is across the street from where you are and past the intersection.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the original poster is looking for "catty-corner."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the original poster is looking for "catty-corner."

Or kitty-corner. Possibly, but that would work better for me if both locations were on the corner.

Y

Yourjones

Thank you so much! That is what I was looking for. I'll say "The blue building is across the street/intersection from where we are. Whereas the green building is catty-corner from us." Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are too far from the corners to be catty/kitty corner (BE diagonally opposite).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are too far from the corners to be catty/kitty corner (BE diagonally opposite).

Yeah, but it's a better explanation than any other. Catty-corner and a little ways down.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Mike's "If you don't know the compass directions, you could say the green building is across the street from where you are and past the intersection" seems clear enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.