Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can you rip off a movie on a digital camera?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you rip off a movie on a digital camera?

I'm not sure!! If you went to the cinema and used a digital video camera to actually record the film then the copy of the film you have would be a "ripoff" (or a pirated version).

You can "rip" music or films from a disc onto your hard drive. It simply means to copy them.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm not sure!! If you went to the cinema and used a digital video camera to actually record the film then the copy of the film you have would be a "ripoff" (or a pirated version).

You can "rip" music or films from a disc onto your hard drive. It simply means to copy them.
Would there be a verd to describe when these guys sit in a movie theater and film it on a camera? Do they knock it off or perhaps they cam-rip it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe it would be called a cam-rip, yes.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I believe it would be called a cam-rip, yes.

" disapproving : to copy or imitate (something) improperly : to make something that is too much like (something made by someone else)
▪ The film has done well, but its makers have been accused of ripping off another movie made 30 years ago. "

Could I use "rip off a movie" in terms of making a copy of it of wose quality?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
" disapproving : to copy or imitate (something) improperly : to make something that is too much like (something made by someone else)
▪ The film has done well, but its makers have been accused of ripping off another movie made 30 years ago. "

Could I use "rip off a movie" in terms of making a copy of it of wose quality?

If you "rip off" a movie in this sense, it doesn't really mean making an exact copy but of worse quality. It usually means making a different film but which has such a similar plot etc that it's very like the other film.

However, when talking about fake designer goods, you would call an inferior quality exact copy a "ripoff".

- I bought a Gucci handbag.
- A real one?
- Of course not. They're really expensive. I bought a ripoff.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If you "rip off" a movie in this sense, it doesn't really mean making an exact copy but of worse quality. It usually means making a different film but which has such a similar plot etc that it's very like the other film.

However, when talking about fake designer goods, you would call an inferior quality exact copy a "ripoff".

- I bought a Gucci handbag.
- A real one?
- Of course not. They're really expensive. I bought a ripoff.

When it comes to burning CDs with pirated movies, can I say "knock off CDs witn a movie as in "2 knock (something) off or knock off (something) a : to do or make (something) very quickly
▪ He knocked off 10 paintings in 4 days. ▪ We are planning to knock this project off in a weekend."?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, to "rip off" is to steal or copy an item or a concept. If you said "Fred ripped off the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie", it implies that Fred has made a movie with characters and a plot very similar to Pirates of the Caribbean. But "ripped" (when discussing digital technology) means a copy of a song or movie that has been burned onto a CD or DVD. If you said "Fred ripped a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean", it implies that he illegally filmed it in a cinema and is now making copies of it on DVDs.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In AmE, to "rip off" is to steal or copy an item or a concept. If you said "Fred ripped off the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie", it implies that Fred has made a movie with characters and a plot very similar to Pirates of the Caribbean. But "ripped" (when discussing digital technology) means a copy of a song or movie that has been burned onto a CD or DVD. If you said "Fred ripped a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean", it implies that he illegally filmed it in a cinema and is now making copies of it on DVDs.

Can I say "kock off CD with a movie"?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No. Movies are burned onto DVDs, not CDs. And even "Knock off DVD with a movie" doesn't make sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

There are several ways we use "knock off" or "knockoff".

A knockoff is the same as a ripoff. "I bought a knockoff Gucci handbag". However, it does actually have more of a connotation of "stolen".

The guys at the market are selling knocked off CDs = They are selling stolen CDs.

We also use "to knock off" to mean to produce something. At my old office, if you wanted a document prepared/printed in a hurry, you might say to one of the clerical staff "Could you knock this off for me really quickly please?"

I wouldn't personally use "knock off/knockoff" in relation to a movie unless I meant a stolen DVD/CDRom/video.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There are several ways we use "knock off" or "knockoff".

A knockoff is the same as a ripoff. "I bought a knockoff Gucci handbag". However, it does actually have more of a connotation of "stolen".

The guys at the market are selling knocked off CDs = They are selling stolen CDs.

We also use "to knock off" to mean to produce something. At my old office, if you wanted a document prepared/printed in a hurry, you might say to one of the clerical staff "Could you knock this off for me really quickly please?"

I wouldn't personally use "knock off/knockoff" in relation to a movie unless I meant a stolen DVD/CDRom/video.

Would the verb "cam-rip" be standard English? I've gooled it and found it used as in "This movie is CAM RIPPED. Lots of disturbance in audio & video."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would the verb "cam-rip" be standard English? I've gooled it and found it used as in "This movie is CAM RIPPED. Lots of disturbance in audio & video."
I've never heard it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Yes, as per my previous post, cam-rip is perfectly acceptable in BrE at least.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, as per my previous post, cam-rip is perfectly acceptable in BrE at least.
I obviously don't move in the right circles.;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

A "cam-rip" is an illegal copy of a movie that someone filmed in the cinema with a hand-held device. Because of the surreptitious method of recording, the film quality is often jerky and badly lit and has audience noise in the background. It's standard AmE to folks who like to download and trade movies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. Movies are burned onto DVDs, not CDs. And even "Knock off DVD with a movie" doesn't make sense.

Actually you can burn it onto a CD if it's a DVD-rip and less than 700 Mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.