Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a grammar question of a high school test. I think contextually "it" is correct in this sentence, but wouldn't "which" also be correct grammar-wise with proper context? I don't think "which" can fit here.

25)Without a "proper incentive," losing weight / is hard work. However hard you may try, you won't lose weight. Having a proper incentive /means you must be very clear about the real benefits (that) you are going to get frommaking the necessary changes. Unless you have a clear idea of these benefits, youwon't have the motivation to make the changes needed. Remember which(it) is not easy to change your eating habits. Some people / diet for years without ever having a properincentive. That is (the reason)why they stay overweight.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is a grammar question of a high school test. I think contextually "it" is correct in this sentence, but wouldn't "which" also be correct grammar-wise with proper context? I don't think "which" can fit here. 25)Without a "proper incentive," losing weight / is hard work. However hard you may try, you won't lose weight. Having a proper incentive /means you must be very clear about the real benefits (that) you are going to get frommaking the necessary changes. Unless you have a clear idea of these benefits, youwon't have the motivation to make the changes needed. Remember which(it) is not easy to change your eating habits. Some people / diet for years without ever having a properincentive. That is (the reason)why they stay overweight.

You are correct. "Which" does not work there.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, I said "which" can work with a different context, and the sentence itself is correct. What do you think?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, I said "which" can work with a different context, and the sentence itself is correct. What do you think?
'Which' does not work in that sentence. Can you come up with a context in which it does?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I already told you what I thought. "Which" does not work in that sentence. The context is not the problem; the structure is the problem.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not sure, this is what I can think of...If "which" doesn't work in any sentence, I was wrong.

There are many ways to change your eating habits. They could be meditation, yoga, work-out, balancing your diet, fasting, etc.
. Remember which(it) is not easy to change your eating habits. You may have a hard time practicing yoga if you hate it....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not sure, this is what I can think of...If "which" doesn't work in any sentence, I was wrong.

There are many ways to change your eating habits. They could be meditation, yoga, work-out, balancing your diet, fasting, etc.
. Remember which(it) is not easy to change your eating habits. You may have a hard time practicing yoga if you hate it....
Mike has told you 'which' doesn't work in that sentence. I have told you 'which' doesn't work in that sentence. Why do you keep repeating it?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Who put the word "it" in parentheses in your sentence?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Remember it is not easy to change your eating habits. Some people overeat every day which makes them overweight.

'Both 'which' and 'it' can refer to the whole sentence (clause), but 'which' can't be used to start a main clause while 'it' can. 'Which' just 'summarizes' the previous clause.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I could imagine "Remember -- which is not easy -- to change your eating habits." But it would still be rather odd, and ambiguous. Is it hard to remember, or is it hard to change?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, given that you said 'I don't think "which" can fit here', and given that it doesn't fit, you were right (the first time).
I can only imagine that it's checking to see if you can use 'which' and 'that' correctly, "
Remember which/that it is not easy to change your eating habits" requiring 'that'.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, Raymott! This is the final comment of mine. By "which", I meant it refers to the previous sentence's "meditation, yoga, work-out, balancing your diet, fasting, etc.". Maybe "Think about which(meditation or yoga or work-out) is not easy to change your eating habits" can work.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Okay, Raymott! This is the final comment of mine. By "which", I meant it refers to the previous sentence's "meditation, yoga, work-out, balancing your diet, fasting, etc.". Maybe "Think about which(meditation or yoga or work-out) is not easy to change your eating habits" can work.

Sorry, I didn't know it was your sentence. You usually post examples from elsewhere. As all the others said, it's irredeemably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.