[Idiom] Point of no return definition ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezmon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Guys Please explain me the use of and the definition of this IDIOM : THE POINT OF NO RETURN itself and the definition of the idiom in these sentences

1. It's only half past the point of no return

2. we're to the point of no return and along the way the only thing we've learned is how to hurt each other...

3. The economy has reached the point of no return. Wait here while I move the island

4. PAST POINT OF NO RETURN the final threshold, the bridge is crossed so stand and watch it burn, we've passed THE POINT OF NO RETURN

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Think about flying an airplane. You only have so much fuel. You leave point A, heading for a distant point B.

Early on in the trip, you have enough fuel to get to point B. You also have enough, in case of trouble, to turn around and go back to point A.

At some location this is no longer true. You have gone too far to have enough fuel to return to A. You must go to point B.

That is the point of no return. When you cross it, you are committed to reaching your destination.

nezmon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Not a teacher.

Think about flying an airplane. You only have so much fuel. You leave point A, heading for a distant point B.

Early on in the trip, you have enough fuel to get to point B. You also have enough, in case of trouble, to turn around and go back to point A.

At some location this is no longer true. You have gone too far to have enough fuel to return to A. You must go to point B.

That is the point of no return. When you cross it, you are committed to reaching your destination.

Thanks for the explanation, but would you explain it more detail

Then what is the definition of the sentences 1 to 4 above

I still confused
Thanks ahead

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I don't know what they mean by "half past the point of no return."

2. Whatever groups they are talking about is too busy fighting among themselves instead of working together to reach their goal.

3. I don't know what the "island" sentence is supposed to mean.

4. This is just redundancy to emphasize the point. Another idiom is used here. If you cross a bridge and then burn it, there is no going back.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
None of those sentences make much sense, Nezmon.

Where did you find them?

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

1. It's only half past the point of no return

2. we're to the point of no return and along the way the only thing we've learned is how to hurt each other...

3. The economy has reached the point of no return. Wait here while I move the island

4. PAST POINT OF NO RETURN the final threshold, the bridge is crossed so stand and watch it burn, we've passed THE POINT OF NO RETURN

... [another post]
Thanks for the explanation, but would you explain it in more detail

Then what is the [STRIKE]definition[/STRIKE] meaning/sense... of the sentences 1 to 4 above

I am still confused
Thanks [STRIKE]ahead[/STRIKE] in advance

1 It's a joke. 'Half past' means 'just after' - 'the point of no return' doesn't have a just after.

2 'We're AT...' - not 'to'; or 'We've come to..'

3 Meaningless, except in a surreal world where gods can move islands, and an island's economy depends on proximity to the mainland.

4 As SD said, it uses redundancy to heighten its effect.

b

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think perhaps #3 is a joking reference to the TV series "Lost", in which they literally moved the island in an attempt to avoid catastrophe. If you have a fuller context for that statement it would be helpful.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And #4 is a relatively famous song lyric, shame on more of you for not knowing it! Surely the rhyme would have given you a clue even if you aren't all Phantom fans?

In fact, the song lyrics make an excellent way to explain the idiom!

Phantom Of The Opera - PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN lyrics

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Shame? :) (Can't say I'm a fan.)

b

Like it or not, it's still an important cultural reference I think. Although I prefer the original novel, I can't help but admire the technical expertise it takes to put that show on - although I used to work in theatre so I guess I'm a little more interested than most.

But we digress off-topicward; I apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.