Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
A friend of mine says," Do you want to get some coffee?''

I answer back," You could use some."

The first sentece means that my friend wants me to go and get some coffee for him.

When I reply, I mean that I would gladly drink one, If he will go and get it from the coffee machine.

Am I right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

The first sentece means that my friend wants me to go and get some coffee for him.

When I reply, I mean that I would gladly drink one, If he will go and get it from the coffee machine.

Am I right?
No, if you say "You could use some", you are telling him that he needs to drink coffee.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Am I right?

I understand it's an exchange of "pleasantries".
- How about some coffee?
- Very kind of you to offer to get me some.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I understand it's an exchange of "pleasantries".
- How about some coffee?
- Very kind of you to offer to get me some.

So It's like "Sure I would like to get some."?

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So It's like "Sure I would like to get some."?

It's like "I'd like to have some but I don't feel like going for it myself, so why don't you go get some for the both of us?"

Oh, and good evening to the English gentleman!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first statement doesn't say who is going to get the coffee.

If you want to make it clear that only if he is going to get the coffee that you want some (and you're not willing to go yourself), then you could say "Oh, if you're going to get some, I'd love a cup. Thanks!"

If someone said to me "You could use some" I would think I must be acting kind of sleepy and dull and assume he thinks I need to perk up.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The first statement doesn't say who is going to get the coffee.

If you want to make it clear that only if he is going to get the coffee that you want some (and you're not willing to go yourself), then you could say "Oh, if you're going to get some, I'd love a cup. Thanks!"

If someone said to me "You could use some" I would think I must be acting kind of sleepy and dull and assume he thinks I need to perk up.

I'll extend it a bit this time. This one I've taken from episode 10 "Haven"

An FBI agent is sitting at the desk working a case. Another agent comes up to her desk. She stops writing, looks at him and says, "Hey, do you want to get some coffee?"
He replies," You could use some." Than he goes on," Black for me. Thanks.I think I'm done with the fancy stuff."
She stands up and is headed for the coffee machine.

The way I take it in this context it means " If you are going to get youself a coffee, get one for me as well." What do you think? Am I right?

Last edited:

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'll extended a bit this time. This one I've taken from episode 10 "Haven"

An FBI agent is sitting at the desk working a case. Another agent comes up to her desk. She stops writing, looks at him and says, "Hey, do you want to get some coffee?"
He replies," You could use some." Than he goes on," Black for me. Thanks.I think I'm done with the fancy stuff."
She stands up and is headed for the coffee machine.

The way I take it in this context it means " If you are going to get youself a coffee, get one for me as well." What do you think? Am I right?

As far as I understand, you didn't see the text, you heard it. Is it possible you misheard something? Could it have been like this? - Do you want me to get you some coffee? - I could use some. Black for me. Thanks.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
As far as I understand, you didn't see the text, you heard it. Is it possible you misheard something? Could it have been like this? - Do you want me to get you some coffee? - I could use some. Black for me. Thanks.

That's exactly what the guy said in that episode. They didn't talk mile a minute like in old american movies from the 40s. I could hear them talking clearly. If you want to check it out with the original, it's called "Haven" a sciencefiction series. You might well dowload it from here www.ex.ua.

Last edited:

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That' exactly what the guy said in that episode. They didn't talk mile a minute like in old american movies from the 40s. I could hear them talking clearly.

I give up. :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could someone please fill me in on this one?
It's a mistake to expect good grammar, or even language that makes sense, from popular TV shows.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's a mistake to expect good grammar, or even language that makes sense, from popular TV shows.

Could you please be more specific?;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Why would there be mistakes in grammar?
TV shows represent all types of people. Many native speakers have poor language skills, this applies to English native speakers, French native speakers and, I'm sure, native speakers of many other languages.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
TV shows represent all types of people. Many native speakers have poor language skills, this applies to English native speakers, French native speakers and, I'm sure, native speakers of many other languages.

But I'd like to know where you stand specifically the use of "You could use some" in the above given contex?

Status
Not open for further replies.