[General] Flat as a washboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to know what the actual meaning of "flat as a washboard" is? I watched the TV episodes, someone said "I mean, you're flat as a washboard. You look awesome." As flat as a washboard is not used to describe breasts?? How come she said you look awesome? it seems to be a good meaning....please advise...

W

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Flat stomach.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't consider a washboard as being flat. It has more of a rippled surface but the speaker could be referring to abdominal muscles ("abs" in current lingo) that when they are in perfect condition, they appear to be rippled.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't consider a washboard as being flat. It has more of a rippled surface but the speaker could be referring to abdominal muscles ("abs" in current lingo) that when they are in perfect condition, they appear to be rippled.

"Washboard abs" is certainly a better description than flat as a washboard, for a washboard is not flat. Whoever wrote the dialogue for that TV show has probably never seen an actual washboard!

I am not a teacher.

misiania

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
You are being picky here :-D
I also heard the term 'flat as ironing board' - describing flat stomach. Don't forget, not everyone has visible abs. Some have flat stomach but no 'six pack' ;-)

Not teacher.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I don't think I'm being picky at all. A washboard is not flat. An ironing board is.

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
... A washboard is not flat. An ironing board is.

I think that is the whole point of the phrase - you are meant to deduce that it is not flat, because to do otherwise would be ludicrous.

Observe the following conversation:

Person1: Schrödinger's cat, ...in a sealed box remains both alive and dead until the box is opened... Do you understand? Was it clear?

Person2: As clear as mud.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"Washboard abs" is certainly a better description than flat as a washboard, for a washboard is not flat. Whoever wrote the dialogue for that TV show has probably never seen an actual washboard!

Quite possibly not, but I think the flatness they mean, regardless of muscle tone, is in contrast to bulging fat stomachs.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Traditionally, in AmE, "flat as a washboard" would be used to describe a women with small (or non-discernable) breasts. It is a common insult or taunt used by adolescent boys to tease the adolescent girls who haven't "developed" yet.

"Washboard abs" refer to not only a flat stomach, but a very muscularly defined flat stomach, so that there are visible ridges, not unlike those found on a washboard.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Traditionally, in AmE, "flat as a washboard" would be used to describe a women with small (or non-discernable) breasts. It is a common insult or taunt used by adolescent boys to tease the adolescent girls who haven't "developed" yet.

Aha, that's it. :up: ;-)

I think Williamyh heard it as positive -
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to know what the actual meaning of "flat as a washboard" is? I watched the TV episodes, someone said "I mean, you're flat as a washboard. You look awesome." As flat as a washboard is not used to describe breasts?? How come she said you look awesome? it seems to be a good meaning....please advise...

W

- because from time to time (I'm not up to date with these things ;-)) breasts both big and small are fashionable. In British culture, and I think American. Perhaps in W's culture fashionable breasts are always big; pity the women :-( ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.