Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

In the following sentence, do we need the definite article before the word Congress? Please explain me the rule. (I see the word both with and without the definite article throughout the chapter.) Thanks again!

In this speech, President Roosevelt spells out this new vision and calls on the audience—state governors, industry leaders, members of Congress, and natural resource managers—to put his principles into action.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It is not necessary in that sentence.

LaMelange

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can you please tell me the difference between "members of the Congress" and "members of Congress" in the same sentence so that I understand the rule and can apply it in other instances?

(i.e., when we use the definite article and when we don't before the word Congress)

Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Once again, Matthew, you have begun to make suppositions before teachers and/or native speakers have responded, putting us to the trouble of correcting your mistakes as well as answering the OP. Please wait longer before jumping in.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
LaMelange, please note that a better title would have been Congress or the congress?

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

LaMelange

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Point taken! I chose this title because my trouble here is the definite article, not the word Congress in particular.

(By the way, Congress in the chapter I was working on stands for the US Congress, and I came across 4 different entries: the US Congress, US Congress, the Congress, and Congress [without the definite article].)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am an American speaker. The use of the article before Congress is somewhat variable, but most often it is left off.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does 'the Congress' refer to a political party below? That's what I thought when I wrote my above post.
'The African National Congress held a meeting yesterday. All members of the Congress supported the motion proposed by the president.'

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it does. The thread so far has been specifically about the US Congress. Let's not digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.