Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If someone from another country come to your country, can I say "Have you been to (your country name) before?
For example, if I meet someone from another country, in Japan(my country), is it OK to say "Have you been to Japan before?"
Or should I say " Have you come to Japan before?"

I am looking forward to your replies.

Yoshio

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If someone from another country come to your country, can I say "Have you been to (your country name) before?
For example, if I meet someone from another country, in Japan(my country), is it OK to say "Have you been to Japan before?"

Yoshio

Either "been" or "come" would be fine. I think "been" would be more common.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Come" sounds weird to me.

EliseMartel

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yoshio

I think the best way to answer this question is to think of how I would respond. I would say "No, I haven't been to Japan before." However, I would never say "no, I haven't come to Japan before." The second way is incorrect.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the best way to answer this question is to think of how I would respond. I would say "No, I haven't been to Japan before." However, I would never say "no, I haven't come to Japan before." The second way is incorrect.

Sorry, but it is not incorrect. People come to Japan or Norway, or the US, etc. all the time.

EliseMartel

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I forgot to mention that I am not a teacher:) I'm an uber-newbie. The second way just sounded weird to me. Obviously, people come into the US or Japan from other countries. However, since coming denotes going toward the speaker, would it be appropriate to say "have you even come to Japan before" to someone in Japan vs. "have you ever been to Japan before" to someone in another country (such as randomly polling people at a city park)?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I forgot to mention that I am not a teacher:) I'm an uber-newbie. The second way just sounded weird to me. Obviously, people come into the US or Japan from other countries. However, since coming denotes going toward the speaker, would it be appropriate to say "have you even come to Japan before" to someone in Japan vs. "have you ever been to Japan before" to someone in another country (such as randomly polling people at a city park)?

Yes. Both are appropriate. There is more than one way to express a thought. You may have your favorite, but that that does not make other alternatives incorrect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Come" sounds weird to me.
It sounds strange to this speaker of BrE, too, as does the statement form. On my first visit to a place, I would say only "I've never been to X before", not "I've never come to X before".

I might, if I have visited the place before, and am thinking of the method of travel, say "I've never come to X by train before".

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for replying to my post so quickly.
The reason why I asked that question is that the common translation of "have been to" is "have had an experience of going to a place" in Japanese.
After reading through what all of you wrote, I suppose "have come to" sounds unnatural in the sentence I gave.
Am I right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
After reading through what all of you wrote, I suppose "have come to" sounds unnatural in the sentence I gave.
Am I right?

The only thing you can conclude from the above opinions is that it sounds unnatural to four native English speakers and natural to one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As there are no citations for "Have you come to X?" as a simple question on its own in COCA, I would conclude that it sounds unnatural to most native speakers, in that there is no evidence in this large corpus of it ever being used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is another vote for unnatural from this BrE speaker. In certain contexts, I would use "come" when talking about travel but I would not say or expect to hear "I have come to France six times before". I am about to use a word I rarely use - always. I would always say "I have been to France six times before". The same goes for the interrogative - "Have you been here/there before?", "Have you been to Ireland in the last six months?", "How many times have you been here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.