[General] Can we say 'when the clock struck 11.25 a. m.'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
One of my students asked me a question a week ago. It was as follows:

Can we say 'when the clock struck 11.25 a. m.'?

I know we can say 'when the clock struck 11 a. m.' or 'when the clock struck 11.30 a. m.' But I just have no idea about '11.25'. Please help me.

If we can't say like this, what is the best alternative for 'struck'?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One of my students asked me a question a week ago. It was as follows:

Can we say 'when the clock struck 11:25 a. m.'? No. No clock strikes 11:25 a.m. Some strike quarter hours, but striking only on the hour is more common. Electric clocks don't strike the hours at all. The minute hand just goes by. We only say it strikes an hour if it chimes, cuckoos, or makes another sound.

I know we can say 'when the clock struck 11 a. m.' Right!

or ' when the clock struck 11​:30 a. m.' Actually, we don't say "when the clock struck 11:30."

But I just have no idea about '11​:25'. Please help me.

If we can't say like this, what is the best alternative for 'struck'?

You can say "at 11:25 a.m." You don't need (or want!) a verb. Be sure to use a colon (not a period) between the hour and minute.

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can say "at 11:25 a.m." You don't need (or want!) a verb. Be sure to use a colon (not a period) between the hour and minute.

Many thanks for your time and consideration. Can we say 'when the clock showed 11:25 a.m.'? If we can, is it natural? What do you think?

By the way, I have seen the sentence 'The clock struck 11:30.' several times before.

Please have a look at this website:

https://books.google.com/books?id=q...onepage&q=when the clock struck 11:30&f=false

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The clock striking on the hour reminds me of the nursery rhyme: http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/h046.html

If a clock strikes at 11.25 a.m.(BrE uses a period between the hour and the minutes, and not a colon), there is something wrong with it.

'when the clock showed 11:25 a.m.' - A clock shows the time of course but this is not a sentence.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The clock striking on the hour reminds me of the nursery rhyme: http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/h046.html

If a clock strikes at 11.25 a.m.(BrE uses a period between the hour and the minutes, and not a colon), there is something wrong with it.

'when the clock showed 11:25 a.m.' - A clock shows the time of course but this is not a sentence.

So, you mean that we can say the sentence like 'The clock showed 11.25 a.m.' But is it natural?

And by the way, can we say 'The clock struck 11:30'?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some mechanical clocks, especially cuckoo clocks or grandfather clocks, do strike the half hour.

This cuckoo clock strikes the half hour, then plays a short tune with some additional movement. This mantle clock strikes the half-hour as well.

The half-hour strike is usually shorter or of a different tone than the full hour strike.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So, now can we say 'The clock displayed 11:25 am.' or 'The clock showed 11.25 a.m.' ? And if we can, are they natural?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We can say both. I don't find the one with 'displayed' very natural.

Incidentally, I have a clock that chimes every quarter of an hour.

So, you mean that actually it is possible for us to say: The clock struck 22.15 p.m.

Is that so?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with the first sentence, but 11.25am is just fine in BE.,

rodgers white, please note Charlie's words which I have highlighted. You seem determined to include a verb for no good reason - especially as most clocks don't strike/chime - unless you're struggling to reach a specified word-count in an essay.

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree with the first sentence, but 11.25am is just fine in BE.,

rodgers white, please note Charlie's words which I have highlighted. You seem determined to include a verb for no good reason - especially as most clocks don't strike/chime - unless you're struggling to reach a specified word-count in an essay.

I am sorry for my stubborn. However, I just try to explain it as clearly as possible to my students, since they asked this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.