Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,
What is the meaning of "lay out" in the following context:
(a man and his wife are walking in the street)
The man: I don't know if I'd want to lay out in public, but...
The wife: Oh, my God. That's the Standard Hotel where people are, like, known to bone in the windows"
Thanks a lot.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's this from? Is it British, American, or...??

I'm not sure I've ever heard "lay out" or "bone" in this context (although I can take a guess about the latter)!!!

One idea, though: When I was growing up (in the West of the USA), we used to say "lay out" and mean "lie out in the sun to get a tan"...

Anybody else?

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:shock:

Having also seen your other post (Knight Rider), I'm not sure you're reading very wholesome books, Maiabulela. :oops:

Of course it's not for me to comment, except that you are posting some weird extracts...

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Dude's right .. the bone in this post and the nuts in Maiabulela's previous one don't have much to do with food, however you lay them out.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was growing up (in the West of the USA), we used to say "lay out" and mean "lie out in the sun to get a tan"...

Anybody else?

100% agree. It means to lay out in the sun.

Not a teacher

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
100% agree. It means to lay out in the sun.

Not a teacher

It means to lie out in the sun.

Usage Discussion of LAY

lay has been used intransitively in the sense of “lie” since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since. Generations of teachers and critics have succeeded in taming most literary and learned writing, but intransitive lay persists in familiar speech and is a bit more common in general prose than one might suspect. Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that lie is for people and lay is for things. Some commentators are ready to abandon the distinction, suggesting that lay is on the rise socially. But if it does rise to respectability, it is sure to do so slowly: many people have invested effort in learning to keep lie and lay distinct. Remember that even though many people do use lay for lie, others will judge you unfavorably if you do.
</H2>
(Merriam-Webster)

Rover

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
:shock:

Having also seen your other post (Knight Rider), I'm not sure you're reading very wholesome books, Maiabulela. :oops:

Of course it's not for me to comment, except that you are posting some weird extracts...

Hahahaha. These are not books. I'm a subtitler. This is an American program called "Kim and Kourtney take Newyork" the Kardashians. That's all. lool;-)

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hahahaha. These are not books. I'm a subtitler. This is an American program called "Kim and Kourtney take Newyork" the Kardashians. That's all. lool;-)

Awesome! Still not very wholesome, but within that context it all makes perfect sense! :lol: (NB: As an American, I disavow any connection to said television program...)

(By the way, you maybe mistyped this, but New York is two words, both capitalized.)

Status
Not open for further replies.