Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi!

I was studying tenses in my grammar book that I ran into future tense. One of the usages that is mentioned in my grammar book for "will" is volition. It defines volition as "want to". And also it mentions negative volition. Now, what is the difference between these two sentences based on the definition that I provided for "volition".

If you will wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its volition meaning)
If you wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (My own example)

He will not take orders from anyone. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its negative volition meaning)
He does not take order from anyone. (My own example)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!

I was studying tenses in my grammar book that I ran into future tense. One of the usages that is mentioned in my grammar book for "will" is volition. It defines volition as "want to". And also it mentions negative volition. Now, what is the difference between these two sentences based on the definition that I provided for "volition".

If you will wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its volition meaning)
If you wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (My own example)

He will not take orders from anyone. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its negative volition meaning)
He does not take order from anyone. (My own example)

"Volition" includes more than "to want to". It expresses a conscious decision to do or not do something. In that sense, it also means "to agree". to".

If you will wash (agree to wash) the dishes (and actually do it), I will dry them.
If you wash (actually do it) the dishes, I will dry them.

He will not take orders from anyone. (a prediction based on past habits/actions)
He does not take orders from anyone. (a statement of fact/opinion based on past habits/actions)

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
He will not take orders from anyone. (a prediction based on past habits/actions)

As I said before, the book mentions the above sentence to show negative volition not prediction. The book also mentions the prediction usage of "will". However, when I think now I see that there is overlap between different usages of "will" and you cannot assuredly distinguish between them.

Let's consider this sentence, the book mentions this sentence to show intention usage of "will".

The accountant will do all the work himself.

Simultaneously, this sentence can also show other usages of "will":

It can show promise, maybe, the accountant has promised to do so.
It can also show prediction, maybe, the speaker is predicting that the accountant will do so.
It can also show volition, maybe, the speaker has agreed to do so and really do it in the future.

Do you agree with me?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I said before, the book mentions the above sentence to show negative volition not prediction. The book also mentions the prediction usage of "will". However, when I think now I see that there is overlap between different usages of "will" and you cannot assuredly distinguish between them.

Let's consider this sentence, the book mentions this sentence to show intention usage of "will".

The accountant will do all the work himself.

Simultaneously, this sentence can also show other usages of "will":

It can show promise, maybe, the accountant has promised to do so.
It can also show prediction, maybe, the speaker is predicting that the accountant will do so.
It can also show volition, maybe, the speaker has agreed to do so and really do it in the future.

Do you agree with me?

Yes, "will" has many meanings.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We need real context before we can be reasonably sure what 'will' means exactly. Even then we cannot be completely sure about what the speaker had in mind.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We need real context before we can be reasonably sure what 'will' means exactly. Even then we cannot be completely sure about what the speaker had in mind.

Yes. I agree with you. The book only mentions a short sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
One short sentence does not a "will" make. :-D
I bequeath all my property, real and otherwise, to my mistress, Deliilah Featherstonhaugh.
;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I bequeath all my property, real and otherwise, to my mistress, Deliilah Featherstonhaugh.
;-)

I take it all back if your son agrees. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.