Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Please help me check if I use these words correctly.

1. Emerge: (V): To appear by coming out from behind something

EX
We were ecstatic when the killer whale emerged from the ocean for everyone on the boat to see.

(V): Become known especially as a result of consideration, examination, and questioning

EX
The truth behind Kathy's disappearance finally emerged after the suspect had confessed.

2. Recuperate (V): to become well again after an illness

EX.
A. After Mark's surgery, the recuperation is expected to take at least two months.
B. Even though Sherri has been getting a medical treatment for mysterious illness, she has yet recuperated.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your examples using emerge are OK, though instead of 'emerged from the ocean' I'd say 'surfaced.'

A. After Mark's surgery, his recuperation is expected to take at least two months.
B. Even though Sherri has been getting [delete 'a'] medical treatment for a mysterious illness, she has not yet recuperated.

In future, please ask unrelated questions in separate threads.

Rover

Last edited:

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Your examples using emerge are OK, though instead of 'emerged from the ocean' I'd say 'surfaced.'

A. After Mark's surgery, his recuperation is expected to take at least two months.
B. Even though Sherri has been getting [delete 'a'] medical treatment for a mysterious illness, she has not yet recuperated.

In future, please ask unrelated questions in separate threads.

Rover

THANK YOU!

Just to be clear with you said.

1. Are you saying that I should say "We were ecstatic when the killer whale emerged to the surface for everyone on the boat to see?"

2. What is wrong with saying she has not yet to recuperate.

3. What do you mean by an unrelated question?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
THANK YOU!

Just to be clear with you said.

1. Are you saying that I should say "We were ecstatic when the killer whale surfaced for everyone on the boat to see?"

2. What is wrong with saying she has not yet to recuperate. It doesn't make sense, that's what's wrong with it.

3. What do you mean by an unrelated question? "emerge" and "recuperate" are unrelated.
Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.