Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There was a video online in which a girl gets raped and latter beheaded by few men because she was dancing and was not wearing Hijaab. This video was either from Syria or Afghanistan I am not sure about it. So can I say "I don't know which countrie's video it was?" Or "I don't know which country was this video from?"

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither. The first is wrong because "countrie's" is completely incorrect, the construction is incorrect and you used a question mark at the end of a statement. The second should be:

"I don't know which country this video was from."

It's not a question so you don't need a question mark at the end and you shouldn't have reversed the subject-verb order.

Which country was this video from? (Question)
I don't know which country this video was from. ​(Statement)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There was a video online in which a girl gets raped and latter beheaded by few men because she was dancing and was not wearing Hijaab. This video was either from Syria or Afghanistan I am not sure about it. So can I say "I don't know which country this video was from."

Sorry "countrie's" was a typo but we can't say "country's" as well, Am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There was a video online in which a girl gets raped and [STRIKE]latter[/STRIKE] later beheaded by a few men because she was dancing and was not wearing [STRIKE]Hijaab[/STRIKE] a hijab. This video was either from Syria or Afghanistan; I am not sure [STRIKE]about it[/STRIKE] which. So can I say "I don't know which country this video was from"? (You need a question mark this time because it's a question, starting "So can I say ...".

Sorry, "countrie's" was a typo but we can't say "country's" as well. Am I correct?

Note my corrections above. In written English, "hijab" has one "a" and no capital letter. It takes an article.

There's nothing wrong with the word "country's" in the right context but in your context, saying "which country's video" doesn't work. The video doesn't belong to a particular country. You're trying to work out which country it was filmed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.