Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello, it's me again.
I'd like to ask whether the word thereof can serve as an ultimate substitude for of it. In particular, is it possible to say command thereof or knowledge thereof? Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, it's me again.
I'd like to ask whether the word thereof can serve as an ultimate substitude for of it. In particular, is it possible to say command thereof or knowledge thereof? Thanks.
It would depend on context, but "knowledge thereof" is fine.

BlackMax

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It would depend on context, but "knowledge thereof" is fine.

Then, could you please specify some cases when it's incorrect to replace of it with thereof?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Then, could you please specify some cases when it's incorrect to replace of it with thereof?
In fact, I can't think of any at the moment. I'll have a think about it and let you know, unless anybody else comes up with anything in the mean time.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you take 'context' as I do, to include the situation surrounding the utterance, then substituting 'thereof' for 'of it' would be inappropriate in most informal contexts. If I said to MrsK 'Let's dish the curry up in the kitchen and proceed to the consumption thereof while we're watching CSI' she would be most surprised - though not very, as she knows me ;-). 'Thereof' is intrinsically formal.

b

BlackMax

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Well, thank you both for the detailed explanations.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you take 'context' as I do, to include the situation surrounding the utterance, then substituting 'thereof' for 'of it' would be inappropriate in most informal contexts. If I said to MrsK 'Let's dish the curry up in the kitchen and proceed to the consumption thereof while we're watching CSI' she would be most surprised - though not very, as she knows me ;-). 'Thereof' is intrinsically formal.

b
:);-)

Status
Not open for further replies.