Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am an avid student of the American English grammar and its usage,focusing primarily on the correct use of formal English. In the future,I will be seeking answers for many of my grammar questions related to the proper identifications of modifiers and the word or word groups they modify,preferably from English professors at well-regarded colleges or universities.

That said,my very first question I shall post to this forum is the proper labeling of the phrase " to have yet to". Is it considered an auxiliary or helping verb which conjugates with the infinitive form of a main verb? For example,in the sentence "UPS has yet to come",is the phrase "has yet to come" the complete verb phrase of the sentence,with the auxiliary being "has yet to" and the main verb "come"?
And what about the phrase "to be yet to" as in "I am yet to be convinced of the benefits of Yoga",or as in "He is yet to start his career"? Is it acceptable in formal English as an interchangeable form of "to have yet to",or is it non-standard or informal usage?

Thanks in advance for any proper response,
Gianni

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Gianni X. Wong. :hi:

Try to relax a little. We are happy to deal with one small point at a time.
That said,my very first question I shall post to this forum is the proper labeling of the phrase " to have yet to".
There is no such 'phrase' as to have yet to.
For example,in the sentence "UPS has yet to come",is the phrase "has yet to come" the complete verb phrase of the sentence,with the auxiliary being "has yet to" and the main verb "come"?
I'm afraid there is not much point in discussing this, because the sentence 'UPS has yet to come' is, in most contexts, not natural English. It makes sense only if both parties in the dialogue know that UPS is a delivery service that, in this context, is expected to come.

I think we'd better wait for comments from others before we look at the other parts of your post

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am an avid student of the American English grammar and its usage,focusing primarily on the correct use of formal English. In the future,I will be seeking answers for many of my grammar questions related to the proper identifications of modifiers and the word or word groups they modify,preferably from English professors at well-regarded colleges or universities.

That said,my very first question I shall post to this forum is the proper labeling of the phrase " to have yet to". Is it considered an auxiliary or helping verb which conjugates with the infinitive form of a main verb? For example,in the sentence "UPS has yet to come",is the phrase "has yet to come" the complete verb phrase of the sentence,with the auxiliary being "has yet to" and the main verb "come"?
And what about the phrase "to be yet to" as in "I am yet to be convinced of the benefits of Yoga",or as in "He is yet to start his career"? Is it acceptable in formal English as an interchangeable form of "to have yet to",or is it non-standard or informal usage?

Thanks in advance for any proper response,
Gianni

I think you are over-complicating the sentence. Try taking the word "yet" out of the sentences. It is an adverb, and, while not insignificant, it is not ultimately important in parsing the other words. What would you say about "UPS is to come" or "He is to start his career?

Gianni X. Wong

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Dear 5jj,
The phrase "have yet to" is widely accepted as standard,formal English in America;and according to my studies both at the intermediate and collegiate level,the sentence "UPS has yet to come" is both "natural"(to quote you) and formal English;in fact,it's regarded as highly formal,even more so than the more common expression "UPS has not come yet". You can cross reference my analysis with any accredited college professor,and he(or she?) will agree with my observations. All I wanted to know was whether the phrase "have yet to come" is considered as an auxiliary verb,for I already learned everything else there is to know about this expression.

Sincerely,
Gianni

Sincerely,
Jian

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear 5jj,
The phrase "have yet to" is widely accepted as standard,formal English in America;and according to my studies both at the intermediate and collegiate level,the sentence "UPS has yet to come" is both "natural"(to quote you) and formal English;in fact,it's regarded as highly formal,even more so than the more common expression "UPS has not come yet". You can cross reference my analysis with any accredited college professor,and he(or she?) will agree with my observations. All I wanted to know was whether the phrase "have yet to come" is considered as an auxiliary verb,for I already learned everything else there is to know about this expression.

Sincerely,
Gianni

Sincerely,
Jian

Excuse me for interrupting your knowledge fest. Please continue.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Gianni, leave a space after a comma and a semicolon.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All I wanted to know was whether the phrase "have yet to come" is considered as an auxiliary verb,for I already learned everything else there is to know about this expression.
My knowledge and experience are clearly vastly inferior to yours. After 65+ years of speaking the language, and many years of studying and teaching it, I have always, clearly misguidedly, thought of 'yet' as an adverb. MikeNewYork is clearly as ignorant as I - as are nearly all the accredited college professors in the world. I feel mortified.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say "UPS hasn't come yet." "Yet to come" seems more like a fixed phrase. Like "the best is yet to come."

Status
Not open for further replies.