Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I am trying to describe a situation when someone is looking at a river and also distant in the horizon he can see mountains.

I thought about it a lot and this is what I have now:

At night, he went for a walk along the river. As he stared at the flow of the river, a ghastly smell was wafting from the surface of the water. Out in the western horizon of the city, after the dim light of a ramshackle building, he could make out the dark outlines of a jagged mountain peak.

I know it can be made better.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I am trying to describe a situation where/in which someone is looking at a river and also far off on/far away on the horizon he can see mountains.

I thought about it a lot and this is what I have now:

At night, he went for a walk along the river. As he stared at the flow [STRIKE]of the river[/STRIKE], a ghastly smell was wafting from the surface of the water. Out on the western horizon of the city, beyond the dim light of a ramshackle building, he could make out the dark outline of a jagged mountain peak.

I know it can be made better.
It's good. One small point:

"At night" usually implies that he does it every night. But the second sentence suggests that this is a particular night.

- If he's just going for a walk on one particular night, the first sentence should begin with something like One night or That night.

- If he goes for a walk every night, the second sentence should begin with something like That night or Tonight. And if you want to be as picky as I am, you could change a walk to walks.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's good. One small point:

"At night" usually implies that he does it every night. But the second sentence suggests that this is a particular night.

- If he's just going for a walk on one particular night, the first sentence should begin with something like One night or That night.

- If he goes for a walk every night, the second sentence should begin with something like That night or Tonight. And if you want to be as picky as I am, you could change a walk to walks.

It's great to have you here Charlie.:cheers:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can I say "black flow" if it's dark? I know "dark flow" works but I don't want to repeat dark.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Water is black at night.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gosh Alpa, you agonize over every single word. (Are you writing a novel?) As for me, I probably wouldn't bother to mention that the river is dark. It's night time!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gosh Alpa, you agonize over every single word. (Are you writing a novel?) As for me, I probably wouldn't bother to mention that the river is dark. It's night time!
You're right. I think Al is just trying to create a mood.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I enjoy being meticulous.:) That's how I've taught myself learn the beautiful language that is English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.