Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have changed my job since last month. This new job requires me to reply email every day. I feel my english standard is very poor as I need many time to draft a reply email. And now I find this website and I try to take this opportunities to improve my english.
Please advise whether an email could be write in point form or in complete sentences?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] changed my job[STRIKE] since[/STRIKE] last month. This new job requires me to reply emails every day. I feel my English standard is very poor as I [STRIKE]need many[/STRIKE] take a long time to draft a reply email. And now I find this website and I try to take this opportunit[STRIKE]ies [/STRIKE]y to improve my English.
Please advise whether an email[STRIKE] could[/STRIKE] should be [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] written in point form or in complete sentences?

Emails should be written in sentences to be clearly understood.

not a teacher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Indonesia
I usually only use point form when taking notes. I would use complete sentences in formal actions such as replying emails, writing essays, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have changed my job since last month. This new job requires me to reply to emails every day. I feel my English [STRIKE]standard[/STRIKE] is very poor as I need [STRIKE]many[/STRIKE] a lot of time to draft a reply email. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Now I [STRIKE]find[/STRIKE] have found this website and I am trying to take this [STRIKE]opportunities[/STRIKE] opportunity to improve my English.
Please advise whether an email [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] should be [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] written in point form or in complete sentences?

Please see my corrections above, in red.

I agree with the others that an email should be written in complete sentences unless you are dealing with an actual list of some description. When you took this job, did you know that you would have to reply to emails in English every day? Did your new employer realise that you felt that your English was not good enough to carry out that task?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have changed my job since last month.

While the sentence is not wrong, it means TS could have changed his job anytime from last month until yesterday.
Why would he want to say that and not "I changed my job last month"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe s/he didn't change jobs last month. My initial reaction was that it was incorrect but then I realised it might not be. Imagine that I wrote to you in February complaining about my job. I wrote to you again yesterday about my new job. I haven't written to you since last month but I have changed my job since last month (when I last wrote to you).

If the OP means "I changed my job in February", then the opening sentence is incorrect. If the OP means "At some point between 1st March and 14th March, I changed my job", it's correct.

Gomery

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you for your comments.

I changed my job in Feb 2015. I am a sales coordinator. I don’t know I need to reply to emails every day before I take this job.

Now I find have found this website and I am trying to take this opportunities opportunity to improve my English.

Question:

1. Why present perfect tense (have found) should be used in the sentence rather than present tense (find)?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you changed your job in February, you should have used the past tense instead of "have changed my job since Feb".

not a teacher

Gomery

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You should have used "I changed my job last month", "I changed my job in February" or "I started a new job last month/in February".

Status
Not open for further replies.