Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have come across a lot of sentences like "He too love his step-daughter."
But I'm really confused about how to fit them correctly in my essay.
So when should I use them instead of "He love his step-daughter too."
And should I use a comma after too?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have come across a lot of sentences like "He too loves his step-daughter."
So when should I use them instead of "He loves his step-daughter too."?

He, too, loves his step-daughter.

He loves his step-daughter, too.

Those are the two ways I can think of to say what (I believe) you wanted. However, IMO, the meaning might not be exactly the same in both sentences, but I can't quite put my finger on it. We willl have to wait for native speakers to have their say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have come across a lot of sentences like "He too love his step-daughter."
So when should I use them instead of "He love his step-daughter too."

That sentence doesn't make sense. For a start, the third person singular form of "to love" is "loves" so the sentences should be one of the following:

He loves his stepdaughter too.
or
He also loves his stepdaughter.
or
He, too, loves his stepdaughter.

Note that the meanings of those three sentences are not identical.

I have no idea where you have seen "a lot of sentences like 'He too love his step-daughter' ". Wherever you are seeing these kinds of sentences, stop reading that publication. It is teaching you bad English!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to match your verb to your subject. He loves.

And, yes, you need commas.

"He, too, loves his step-daughter." This means that someone else loves the girl and he does as well.

"He loves his step-daughter, too." This means he loves someone/something else and also loves the girl.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

"He, too, loves his step-daughter." This means that someone else loves the girl and he does as well.

"He loves his step-daughter, too." This means he loves someone/something else and also loves the girl.

Yes, I meant exactly that, but I could not find the right words! :oops:

PS: Three answers within the same minute :shock:! We're getting better and faster, pals! :-o

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He, too, loves his step-daughter.

He loves his step-daughter, too.

Those are the two ways I can think of to say what (I believe) you wanted. However, IMO, the meaning might not be exactly the same in both sentences, but I can't quite put my finger on it. We willl have to wait for native speakers to have their say.

In your first sentence, it is likely that he and at least one other person loves his stepdaughter.
In your second sentence, it can mean the same as the first or it can mean that he loves another person/other people as well as his stepdaughter.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The use of commas with "too" is now disputed by some. I never use one when "too" is at the end of a sentence -- when "too" means "also".

More here: Comma Before Too?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use of commas with "too" is now disputed by some. I never use one when "too" is at the end of a sentence -- when "too" means "also".

More here: Comma Before Too?

Count me in among the more liberal users of commas. It looks weird to me without it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Count me in among the more liberal users of commas. It looks weird to me without it.

Well, it certainly was the practice/habit when I learned English in school. The use doesn't bother me at all, but I don't use it. I must admit I do use commas when "too" comes in the middle of a sentence, even when it means "also", probably because I pause when I get that word. So I am not completely consistent. :-|

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, it certainly was the practice/habit when I learned English in school. The use doesn't bother me at all, but I don't use it. I must admit I do use commas when "too" comes in the middle of a sentence, even when it means "also", probably because I pause when I get that word. So I am not completely consistent. :-|

I follow the same inconsistent "rule"!

1. He, too, loves his stepdaughter.
2. He loves his stepdaughter too.

For me, it comes from considering "too" at the end of a sentence as "as well". I certainly wouldn't write "He loves his stepdaughter, as well". I would write "He loves his stepdaughter as well."

However, it's interesting that I consider it to mean "also" yet, unlike my sentence #1 above, I would use "He also loves his stepdaughter" without the commas that I would put around "too".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I follow the same inconsistent "rule"!

1. He, too, loves his stepdaughter.
2. He loves his stepdaughter too.

For me, it comes from considering "too" at the end of a sentence as "as well". I certainly wouldn't write "He loves his stepdaughter, as well". I would write "He loves his stepdaughter as well."

However, it's interesting that I consider it to mean "also" yet, unlike my sentence #1 above, I would use "He also loves his stepdaughter" without the commas that I would put around "too".

There is a pause when saying "too" in the middle that there isn't when you say "also."

Status
Not open for further replies.