Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm doing a gap-fill exercise which is meant to test students' knowledge of articles. The task requires writing only one word. However (with my recently gained knowledge), I managed to come up with three different alternatives. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at them and tell me if I should get rid of the book.

__ accountant is responsible for ____ company's finances.

an accountant, a company's - to talk about any accountant in any company. Such a sentence could be seen as generalisation.
an accountant, the company - to talk about any accountant in a definite company
the accountant, the company - to talk about a definite accountant in a definite company.

Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I'm doing a gap-fill exercise which is meant to test students' knowledge of articles. The task requires writing only one word. However (with my recently gained knowledge), I managed to come up with three different alternatives. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at them and tell me if I should get rid of the book.

__ accountant is responsible for ____ company's finances.

an accountant, a company's - to talk about any accountant in any company. Such a sentence could be seen as generalisation.
an accountant, the company - to talk about any accountant in a definite company
the accountant, the company - to talk about a definite accountant in a definite company.

Thank you in advance.
Yes, all those sentences are good. And they mean what you say they do.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is an example the sloppy sort of gap-fill exercises that are presented too often to learners. The person who wrote the question had in mind a basic definition of an accountant: An accountant is responsible for a company's finances, and didn't think of the other possibilities.

The really annoying thing is that your alternative answers would probably be rejected as incorrect by such people.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you!
And if I rewrite the first and second ones (for the sake of practising the articles) using the preposition 'of', should they look like this:

An accountant is a person who is responisble for __ money of a company.
An accountant is a person who is responsible for the money of the company.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you!
And if I rewrite the first and second ones (for the sake of practising the articles) using the preposition 'of', should they look like this:

An accountant is a person who is responisble for __ money of a company.
An accountant is a person who is responsible for the money of the company.
An accountant is a person who is responsible for the money of a company. This is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.