Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello! I want to improve my writing skill, so I am doing some writing practie. This is one of my texts. If you help me correct my mistakes, I will be grateful.

''The History of Bicycles

The bicycle was not invented just by one individual. There were several people and countries that contributed to development of the bicycle. Eventually, it had revolutionized the way of people's travelling.

The first form of the bicycle, called velocipedes, appeared in Scotland in the early 1800s. Velocipedes had two wheels and it was driven by walking feet along the ground. It did not have a pedal until a French inventor added pedals to the front wheel.

However, velocipedes could not become an essential part of transportation, because they were very hard to ride. Since it was very heavy to pedal, no-one thought about using them for travelling to somewhere. In the opinion of many people,velocipedes was just an interesting toy.

To overcome this obstacle, American inventors made much more lighter frameworks by using hollow steel tubes. Although they though that this alteration will bring velocipedes into the daily life, it was still very hard to cycle even a short distance. In fact, people preferred to ride velocipedes in areas closed to traffic by paying small fee.''

I do not finish the text, but I want to share it for your correction.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello! I want to improve my writing skill, so I am doing some writing practice. This is one of my texts. If you help me correct my mistakes, I will be grateful.

The History of Bicycles

The bicycle was not invented just by one individual. There were several people and countries that contributed to the development of the bicycle. Eventually, it had revolutionized the way [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] people travel. [STRIKE]'s travelling.[/STRIKE]

The first form of the bicycle, called velocipedes, appeared in Scotland in the early 1800s. Velocipedes had two wheels and [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] were driven by [STRIKE]walking[/STRIKE] pushing the feet along the ground. [STRIKE]It[/STRIKE] They did not have pedals until a French inventor added them [STRIKE]pedals[/STRIKE] to the front wheel.

However, velocipedes could not become [STRIKE]an essential part[/STRIKE] a popular mode of transportation, because they were very hard to ride. Since [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] they were very heavy to pedal, no-one thought about using them for travelling. [STRIKE]to somewhere.[/STRIKE] In the opinion of many people, velocipedes [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were just an interesting toy.

To overcome this obstacle, American inventors made much [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] lighter frameworks by using hollow steel tubes. Although they though that this alteration will bring velocipedes into the daily life of the average person, [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] they were still very hard to [STRIKE]cycle[/STRIKE] ride even (for) a short distance. In fact, people preferred to ride velocipedes in areas closed to traffic by paying small fee.''

I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] have not finished the text, but I wanted to [STRIKE]share it[/STRIKE] ask for your correction.

Thanks for your help!
I don't understand the text in blue.

Erbab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much for your editing. It is very helpful for me. Sorry for my late answer.

I mean that most people preferred areas closed to traffic where they could rent a velocipede for a small fee.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
most people preferred areas closed to traffic where they could rent a velocipede for a small fee.
Use that. I've also just spotted another mistake:
"Although they thought that this alteration ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.