Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's my first post here. I hope to improve my writing. Thanks for helping me check this essay. If it is possible, please give me some suggestions. I'd be very grateful.

Directions: For this part,you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay commenting on the saying" If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." You can cite examples to illustrate your point of view. You should write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.

Doing Small things Can Make Success​
There are few people have the ability to do the great things and be admired by the world. In fact, many people become successful by doing the small things. As the old saying goes, "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." It means that if we haven't got the opportunity to do the great things, we can gain success by doing the small things perfectly.
Actually, history abounds examples to prove this saying. The late CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs, is a case in point. He was so addicted to details that he could not stop pushing his staff to pursue perfection in design and production. It's due to his focus on small things that Apple made great success in the mobile field.
As college students, we should improve ourselves by doing the small things perfectly. Only when all small things are done well can we make a success.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

The first thing you need to do is click on Edit Post, add a space after every comma and after every full stop, then click Save.

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

The first thing you need to do is click on Edit Post, add a space after every comma and after every full stop, then click Save.
Thank you. I think i have done.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd also suggest running it through a spell checker. We shouldn't have to correct words like 'everyonr', 'samll'.

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd also suggest running it through a spell checker. We shouldn't have to correct words like 'everyonr', 'samll'.
I feel very sorry about this. After checking my essay, i'm so shame that i found more than ten mistakes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That's OK. It's much better if you find the mistakes first, rather than someone else finding them later.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's my first post [STRIKE]time come in[/STRIKE] here. I hope to improve my writing. Thanks for helping me check this essay. If it is possible, please give me some suggestions. [STRIKE]I'll[/STRIKE] I'd be very grateful. [STRIKE]happy.[/STRIKE]

Directions: For this part,you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay commenting on the saying" If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." You can cite examples to illustrate your point of view. You should write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.

Not everyone [STRIKE]born to do[/STRIKE] has the opportunity or the ability to achieve great things, but we all can do small things in a great way. Do the small things greatly is the fundamental of doing the great things we like to do.
It's the basic that do small things in a good way.
Hi Franker, and welcome. :) I don't understand the text in blue. I also found the rest of your text obscure. I think you should pick a more straightforward (simpler) topic instead of this.

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Franker, and welcome. :) I don't understand the text in blue. I also found the rest of your text obscure. I think you should pick a more straightforward (simpler) topic instead of this.
I think I've got something from what you said. I'll try to revise It.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'll try to revise It.
I strongly recommend that you ditch this prompt. Just choose another one, something simpler, clearer and more direct.

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I strongly recommend that you ditch this prompt. Just choose another one, something simpler, clearer and more direct.

Thank you very much. I spend three hours this afternoon on writing a new essay.
I fell a litter confused because I can't see the content which I replied to.

Last edited:

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Doing Small things Can Make Us Successful​
There are few people have the ability to do the great things and be admired by the world. In fact, many people become successful by doing the small things. As the old saying goes, "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." It means that if we haven't got the opportunity to do the great things, we can gain success by doing the small things perfectly.

Actually, history abounds examples to prove this saying. The late CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs, is a case in point. He was so addicted to details that he could not stop pushing his staff to pursue perfection in design and production. It's due to his focus on small things that Apple made great success in the mobile field.
As college students, we should improve ourselves by doing the small things perfectly. Only when all small things are done well can we make successful.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thank you very much. I [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] spent three hours this afternoon (on) writing a new essay.
However, I [STRIKE]fell a litter[/STRIKE] felt a little confused because I [STRIKE] can't[/STRIKE] couldn't see the content which I replied to.
Please be patient. When you make a new post, it goes into moderation. That means one of us needs to approve it before it gets displayed. In future, please do not post the same thing multiple times. Just wait!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Doing Small things Can Make Us Successful
That doesn't sound natural. I don't understand why you insist on this topic. :shock:

Franker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If I add an adverb, it sounds like "doing Small things perfectly Can Make Us Successful". Is it natural? From my point of view, doing the small things perfectly can lead us to success. Is it the example from my essay can't support my view?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No! Just forget about this essay. Do another (completely different one). Choose a different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.