English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Could you help me with the meaning of that. I came across it in a collocation dictionary. Does it mean a person who has got cheeks that are sticking out. I don't know exactly how to express myself, but I mean is it a disapproving type of adjective?
Loads of thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard it. As always, context is everything. Can you post a link to the collocation dictionary where you found it please?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi
Could you help me with the meaning of that. I came across it in a collocation dictionary. Does it mean a person who has got cheeks that are sticking out. I don't know exactly how to express myself, but I mean is it a disapproving type of adjective?
Loads of thanks
I would take it to mean smiling.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've never heard it. As always, context is everything. Can you post a link to the collocation dictionary where you found it please?

Oops! Sorry, I didn't come across this word in the collocation dictionary. I mistook this thread for the other one about teeth.
Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it, or maybe I've heard it from my colleagues. This is a term that's used among them. If it's not correct, how can we describe a person's cheeks that are sticking out on the top and it's considered as a beautiful aspect in most people's viewpoints.
Thanks a bunch

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes we talk having "high cheekbones" in a person considered classically beautiful and "apply cheeked" for someone who is cute, but I've never heard of someone's cheeks sticking out as an attractive feature.

Maybe you could post a picture of someone and we could tell you how we would describe them.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sometimes we talk having "high cheekbones" in a person considered classically beautiful and "apply cheeked" for someone who is cute, but I've never heard of someone's cheeks sticking out as an attractive feature.

Maybe you could post a picture of someone and we could tell you how we would describe them.

Thanks Barb
As I said I don't really know how to express this kind of cheeks, that's why I used "sticking out". I think the person will look like a monster.;-)
Thanks for "high cheekbones". Sorry is it "apply cheeked"? Because I couldn't find it in a dictionary.
About the picture with such a feature I think "Kim Kardashian or Ebru Gundes" are good examples.
Thanks a million

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, that would be "apple cheeked" although that applies as much to the colour as the shape. High (angular) cheekbones are considered to be an attractive feature. If you look at many models, you'll see that they have very prominent cheekbones, giving a quite angular shape to their face.

This is a good example of a male model with "cheekbones to die for" (!) : http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu140/mrjag/joel_west_cheekbone.jpg

And for the female version: http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/d/d6/Grace_Jones.jpg

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you emsr2d2, Barb and Raymott for the help.:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should have been "apple" not "apply." Typo queen strikes again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Should have been "apple" not "apply." Typo queen strikes again.
I thought it was a typo for high cheekbones as "amply cheeked".

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks once more everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.