Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello I have heard the phrase follow the line which means to obey the Rules.
a) the correct is line or Lines?
b) I would Like to make a strong formal statement that tries to express that everyone needs To Follow The rules and if someone will not do it then it will be interrupted by me.

This is what I have thought so far
"..... i would like to finish by saying please follow the line/obey the rules/ follow the rules as if you do not then i ll have to interrupt (something more appropriate here) you".

could you please help make the above sentence sound more formal (as possible) and be well structured?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help and support.

Best Regards
Alex

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello I have heard the phrase follow the line which means to obey the Rules.
a) the correct is line or Lines?
b) I would Like to make a strong formal statement that tries to express that everyone needs To Follow The rules and if someone will not do it then it will be interrupted by me.

This is what I have thought so far
"..... i would like to finish by saying please follow the line/obey the rules/ follow the rules as if you do not then i ll have to interrupt (something more appropriate here) you".

could you please help make the above sentence sound more formal (as possible) and be well structured?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help and support.

Best Regards
Alex
I haven't heard of "follow the line". "Walk the line" is possible.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
I haven't heard of "follow the line". "Walk the line" is possible.
Thanks for the feedback. I used tha phrase "follow the line" to my English teacher (she is from California I think) and she did not correct me.

So do you imply that this
"please obey the rules/ follow the rules as if you do not then i ll have to interrupt (something more appropriate here) you"
does it sound formal to you?

Best Regards
Alex

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the feedback. I used tha phrase "follow the line" to my English teacher (she is from California I think) and she did not correct me.

So do you imply that this
"please obey the rules/ follow the rules as if you do not then i ll have to interrupt (something more appropriate here) you"
does it sound formal to you?

Best Regards
Alex
"Please follow the rules. If you don't, then I'll have to stop you."
But that is not a strong statement. It sounds apologetic. (Sorry guys, but I'm really going to have to stop you if you mess up.)

It's hard to know exactly how to phrase this without knowing what you're talking about, and what you're actually going to do in the event of a breach. For example, in some circumstances, "Those who disobey the rules will be shot" might be the right tone.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
"Please follow the rules. If you don't, then I'll have to stop you."
But that is not a strong statement. It sounds apologetic. (Sorry guys, but I'm really going to have to stop you if you mess up.)

It's hard to know exactly how to phrase this without knowing what you're talking about, and what you're actually going to do in the event of a breach. For example, in some circumstances, "Those who disobey the rules will be shot" might be the right tone.

Thanks for the answer !
I will be the chairman in a debate (sort of exercise) and I would like to inform the debaters as well as the audience that will have to follow the rules

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the answer !
I will be the chairman in a debate (sort of exercise) and I would like to inform the debaters as well as the audience that will have to follow the rules
In that case, it's best not to shoot them!
Your original sentence would be appropriate, with "follow the rules", and 'interrupt', 'intervene', or 'stop you'.

Status
Not open for further replies.