Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
  1. One and a half hours are allowed for the exam.
  2. An hour and a half is allowed for the exam.

The above two examples have been taken out from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
My question is that why those two sentences read differently when it comes to verb being singular or plural. Please explain. I can't really understand the double standard in the examples. The same verb with the same idea but in two different forms. Why?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The above two examples have been taken out from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
My question is that why those two sentences read differently when it comes to verb being singular or plural. Please explain. I can't really understand the double standard in the examples. The same verb with the same idea but in two different forms. Why?

An hour and a half = a recognised name for one period of time lasting 90 minutes, so that one period is treated as the singular.

I can't actually give you a logical explanation as to why this is though, unfortunately, but in BrE at least, that's just how it is.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Use a plural verb for more than one unit e.g. One and a half hours are...
EXCEPT when a determiner, e.g. an, is used for one unit or one unit plus a fraction thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.