Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am an IT guy and in my code I often make variables which are supposed to store the amount of something countable. There is a general agreement that these variables should be named "something + count" in camel case.
So my question is - let's say I am storing the amount of messages user has posted, do I name the variable messageCount or messagesCount? This has been annoying me for quite a while now.

p.s. My guess would be to use singular, but I can't explain why.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's their "message count" or "post count".

Holywar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Got it, thanks.

And what about floor(s)Count? too(ee)thCount? child(ren)Count?

What's the general rule?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't make out what that post is asking. You need to put a space after each closing bracket. Is your middle question asking about "tooth/teeth"? If so, please write it the way I did - too(ee)th was hard to fathom.

The context you gave in post #1 makes sense because terms like "message count" are frequently used. The three you've given in your last post don't sound like common collocations to me.

Holywar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Working with the object 'House' you'll need a variable which stores its amount of floors. Should it be floorsCount or floorCount?
Working with the object 'Animal' you may need to store how many teeth it has. So is it toothCount or teethCount?
'Human' can have some kids. childCount or childrenCount?

In general, what is the rule?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In each case, use the singular. I assume the reason you haven't left a space between the two words is something to do with programming language. If not, there should be a space and neither word should be capitalised.

If pushed, I'd use "floor count", "tooth count" and "child count". Be aware that none of them are likely to be heard in standard English prose. About the only scenario in which I would expect to hear the construction would be something like:

A: There's a serial killer on the loose.
B: Oh. That's not good. What's the body count so far?
A: Five in the last month.

Holywar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Sorry that I keep using this notation - as I said in the first post, it's called camel case and is indeed used in programming for naming things (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamelCase).

Thanks for the answers, also I liked your example very much, things seem clear now. You're doing great job here, guys.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's funny that I (female) thought absolutely nothing of the use of "guys" there but Piscean (male) picked up on it. I accept (and use) it as a term/greeting for groups of mixed sexes.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to put a space after each closing bracket.

Not in this case, because the closing parenthesis is embedded in what will be a single string of letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.