He was lying, not waiting for the twilight but just keeping quiet until it should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
He was lying, not waiting for the twilight but just keeping quiet until it should come.
He was lying, not waiting for the twilight but just keeping quiet for it to come.
He was lying, not waiting for the twilight but just keeping quiet until it came.
What is the difference in meaning between these three sentences? As for the third one, it is obvious: he was lying quiet until the twilight actually came. But is there any between the first and the second, the subjunctive and the infinitive?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Who wrote those sentences? Where was he lying?
I don't think #1 is correct.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The 'correct' sentence is the first one because that's the one you took from somewhere. Please tell us where. Thanks.

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to make up sentences and then ask us what they mean. It will be more productive to focus only on sentences you find, and ask about those.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
The 'correct' sentence is the first one because that's the one you took from somewhere. Please tell us where. Thanks.

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to make up sentences and then ask us what they mean. It will be more productive to focus only on sentences you find, and ask about those.

Now he only could lie as he was, breathing slowly, almost ready to fall asleep again, paralyzed in the airless room, not waiting for twilight but staying as he was until it should come.

Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
No, it's not correct.

If he was lying, he wasn't telling the truth. That's not what Bowles said.

Bowles meant he was lying down.
Thank you, my question was about 'should come' however.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, my question was about 'should come' however.
Yes, I know. That was clear.

But that doesn't mean you don't want to know about other mistakes, right? Of course you do.

(And I'm not lying!)

Last edited:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
No, it's not correct.

If he was lying, he wasn't telling the truth. That's not what Bowles said.

Bowles meant he was lying down.
To lie is a stative verb and this is what is meant here, to lie down is an action verb and it does not fit the context.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. There was no implication in any post in this thread that "lying" meant "telling untruths" in any of the sample sentences.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My sense here is that should is used to give some idea of eventuality. In other words, it means something like 'in the event that'. I believe the effect of such extrinsic possibility creates some doubt that the twilight will ever come. In his mind, there is a faint idea that he may be lying there forever.

I'm not confident my sense is right, however. If not, I have no other way of understanding it.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
I think that 'should' here is calquing the Latin subjunctive in similar grammar patterns (Bowles must have had his share of it as most of his generation). Thus, in Latin It would be something like Cubebat exspectans donec adveniat diluculum/ i.e. he was lying until twilight should come.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lying in wait? For what?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that 'should' here is calquing the Latin subjunctive in similar grammar patterns (Bowles must have had his share of it as most of his generation). Thus, in Latin It would be something like Cubebat exspectans donec adveniat diluculum/ i.e. he was lying until twilight should come.

Yes, you might be right. I was thinking something similar.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My sense here is that should is used to give some idea of eventuality. In other words, it means something like 'in the event that'. I believe the effect of such extrinsic possibility creates some doubt that the twilight will ever come. In his mind, there is a faint idea that he may be lying there forever.

I'm not confident my sense is right, however. If not, I have no other way of understanding it.
I agree that that's usually the case, and I wouldn't use it the way Bowles does. But the way he used it there seems to serve his purpose.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.