Would you mind helping me to check out these three sentences? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There was no doubt that his essay was outstanding and he finally got a chance to relax. However, the next day, he died due to overwork. If he tried to take a rest while completing his essay, I think he would not die.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was no doubt that his essay was outstanding and he finally got a chance to relax. However, the next day, he died due to overwork. If he had tried to [STRIKE]take a[/STRIKE] rest while completing his essay, I think he would not have died.

WOW!:shock: I will never write another essay.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you.
Haha, here I mean he overworked so that he died. It's possible if you work for a long time without a rest.
WOW!:shock: I will never write another essay.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just asking - how do you try to take a rest? (unless, of course, someone or something is trying to disturb you - example He tried to take a rest, but the flickering light prevented him.).

Incidentally, this and your similarly-titled other post make the same mistake; you are not asking us to help you [to] correct your sentences - in that case you'd be correcting them with our help. You are asking us to correct them (and by doing that we will have helped you).

b

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I don't get it.
Of course, you guys helped me a lot to realize some mistakes I made.
But did I bother you for asking the same questions?
Just asking - how do you try to take a rest? (unless, of course, someone or something is trying to disturb you - example He tried to take a rest, but the flickering light prevented him.).

Incidentally, this and your similarly-titled other post make the same mistake; you are not asking us to help you [to] correct your sentences - in that case you'd be correcting them with our help. You are asking us to correct them (and by doing that we will have helped you).

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I don't get it.
Of course, you guys helped me a lot to realize some mistakes I made.
But did I bother you for asking the same questions?

No problem :up: ;-) I was simply saying that your use of 'help to' was wrong - obviously not simply enough ;-)

You want to say 'Please help me by correcting...'. If you say 'Please help me to <verb>' then you are doing <verb> and you just want 'another pair of hands' - for example 'Please help me to move this paving slab'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.